POLE-VAULTING CLASSIC

Here's a fun one for you. The present owner of my much-adored 93 RR Classic TDi brought it down the lane yesterday saying "We think it's broken, but we don't know how".

The symptoms: "The steering started to go all snatchy and rough, and then there was a hell of a bang and a thump, the engine cut out and the hazard warning lights came on. After a while we got the engine to run again, but we couldn't turn the hazard lights off until we pulled the clicking relay. The engine then ran OK, and it actually drove home very well -- much smoother than it's been for a while."

He then handed me something which gave me an immediate clue, but I'll not tell you what it was until tomorrow. In the meantime, any workshop detectives want to start their deductions?

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Teeafit uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Grannies walking stick.

A jar of magic smoke.

The other half of the fusebox and power steering belt.

A tree.

:-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Bills keys?

Reply to
Nige

OK, clue coming... he handed me a broken Universal Joint Bearing Cap and needle rollers that he'd found on his drive under where the RR parks.

What had happened?

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Worn/broken UJ, prop-shaft fell out from the front, RR ran over it as the front dug into the road and lifted the vehicle, as it landed it jarred the components that much the electrics 'frizzed' a little and after settling down the vehicle was only in 2wd and so felt smoother to drive as there was no out-of-balance- prop and UJ whizzing round, it having been ripped off when it dug in.

Missus' Megane dropped off an engine mount and had very similar electrical problems for a short while. When the mount was replaced all was fine.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around 6 Nov 2007 09:29:35 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

that's what I'd guess at too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup, spot on! When I dived underneath, there was no propshaft to be seen -- just the smashed yokes still attached to the axle and transfer box. It DOES explain the propshaft that was lying by the side of the road about 2 miles from here, so I've been and retrieved it, but only the splined end could be found. The other end destroyed itself later?

There was also a clue in the title of the thread -- you can clearly see where the end of the shaft dropped down and dug into the road, smashing the transfer box yoke, but forcing the shaft up into the floor, which has been pushed upwards by about half an inch. There's also what we in Yorkshire call a 'delve' in the chassis.

And the electrical hiccup? Well, here I WOULD appreciate some help. I suspected a possible inertia switch operated by the jolt, but according to my wiring Electrical Troubleshooting Manual it's only the petrol version that has that (to stop the high-pressure fuel injection pump working after a crash). The diesel doesn't seem to have such a switch, but there always WERE little oddities in the wiring of this car that seemed to be a bit 'intermediate' between the 93 and 94 model years (it was officially a 94MO, but built in 93). I can't locate the position of such a switch, but in the V8 it was supposedly under the front passenger seat, and would CERTAINLY have responded to that blow to the floor. WAS there such a switch in some models, akin to an airbag switch, which would cut the engine and operate the hazard lights? There's no airbags to go off, of course, but maybe this was a 'crossover' model?

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Like I said, the wifes Megane dropped an engine mount and we suffered identical electrical gremlins for a while. Mechanic reckoned that places that aren't usually earthed might have been earthed and 'short-cuts' found that could cause random problems. Certainly when the rubber was replaced and the engine mount seated properly all the electrical mproblems disappeared.

Maybe they gave the ecu an attack of the hiccups ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Had the prop shaft fall out at the rear over tarmac, very little harm done, in fact still using the same propshaft.

Reply to
Larry

Yeah but the front shaft, falling out from the front.. Have you never seen the Sinbad movies, at least one nasty monster always dies by being speared on a sharp stick wedged into the ground as it runs forwards ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Have been back to the spot this morning and managed to find the other (short) part of the shaft by the roadside. Unmistakable signs of a UJ bearing having failed, causing the front end to seize and smash the axle-end yoke, allowing the short end to drop free. Then (as I said before) the long end has dug into the road, causing the pole vault. VERY lucky that it didn't have a much unhappier result.

MORAL: Keep those UJs greased!

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

On or around Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:25:13 -0800, Teeafit enlightened us thusly:

mind, it's usually obvious before it gets to that stage, IME, that it needs attention.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I agree. But then (to my immense sadness) it's not my car any more!

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit