GMC V8 Diesel - new twist

Having lurked here for a while, I know of past threads where this conversion has been heavily criticized, with what seems like good reason:

- at 300Kg it's a heavy motor (what does the TD5 weigh BTW?)

- it's working rev range is very low

- it needs more cooling than UK-spec LR can provide as std.

- there seem to have been problems with UK-supplied conversion kits

However, I just found a site where it seems to work very well in a RR:

Incidentally the subject headings on the webpage above are clickable (not obvious when you look at them) and this leads to a lot more info on how the work was done.

I have a 110 V8 and eventually, I will need to do something about fuel consumption of 10-16mpg - for range as much as cost. However, out of deep personal bias, I can't contemplate anything less than eight cylinders, so I would like to see if has made the GMC V8 diesel work here.

Is there anyone who will speak up for it?

/Simon

89 110 V8
Reply to
Simon Birkby

One of our customers customers has one in a 110. I don't know what the owner thinks, but our customer has taken it for MOT etc and seems to be of the opinion that it has an interesting novelty factor, but would prefer a Tdi for every day use.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I met a guy in the Scorpion Racing car park who had a Rangie with this engine. He had already had to beef up the suspension to cope with it.

He tried to use it for muddy hill climbing. It got him up the hills OK, but when he got to the top he slid all the way back down because of the weight! So he was going to ditch it in favour of a 4.2.

Sounded great though.

David

Reply to
David French

I really don`t know why people go on about the weight of the engine. So its about 300kg which is about 100kg heavier than a standard V8 (i think thats about right). But 100Kg isnt really alot of weight really. Basically its the same as having a well built chap in the passenger seat when doing a trial. So why would having 1 extra bloke in the car cause it to slide all the way back down the hill? Being realistic, in a vehicle that weighs close to 2000Kg in the first place - having an additional 100Kg shouldn`t make much difference.

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

On or around 22 Jan 2004 02:04:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) enlightened us thusly:

well, yer right. But you may need additional strength in the front springs, even so, as the 100Kg is almost over the front axle, probably nearer to

200Kg at the seat position, in terms of its effect on the front suspension.

it's also more likely to sink in soft ground.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

People Hi,

last time I checked it the 300Tdi weighted around 350 kilos with the radiator assembly.

Take care Pantelis

suspension.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Really? If that's the case, the GMC V8 is 50Kg lighter ...

Is the 300TDi all cast iron? Is any of the TD5 alloy?

/Simon

Reply to
Simon Birkby

I haven't done the maths but I can imagine another 10-20mm of tyre tread width would counterbalance the sinking in soft ground bit wouldn't it?

/Sim> On or around 22 Jan 2004 02:04:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick

Reply to
Simon Birkby

Which would make it about the same as a 2.25 out of a Series....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Maybe the guy I spoke to had the limited edition Cast Lead model. That would also lead to some cooling problems.

Reply to
David French