green lane Brecon / Elan area

Can't get much tamer than Sarn Helen between the Mountain Centre at Libanus and the tarmac road which runs to Ystradfellte. (Sarn Helen continues south west of this tarmac road but gets a bit less tame...)

This part of the route is marked on OS 1:50,000 maps- most people would probably start at Forest Lodge; the only tricky bit is a steep up-hill section after crossing an attractive old bridge; this is lumpy and rocky. If your 'old girl' is a free-lander you will not have the ground clearance for it, but any series, disco or defender should manage fine.

Obviously all the usual principles of green laning and the green lane code apply.

Cheers, have fun,

M.

Reply to
McBad

Anyone know of any nice lanes around Brecon or Elan area. Im not interested in anything technical, I just want to try a few USMs etc. Just got the old girl and I want to break her in real gently, (also want to break myself in really!) so Im looking for something that wont scare the pants off the missus (hmm, although maybe that might be a good idea!)

Ben

200Tdi
Reply to
Ben & Claire

I ran Sarn Helen yesterday afternoon. That was bloomin fantastic. I went from theYstradfellte end back towards Brecon. Absolutely excellent. Saw some other laners and had a really good time, even the missus enjoyed it.

Are there any other similar lanes around, either Brecon / Elan area or Gloucestershire (near Cheltenham where I live) or a bit further afield.

Ive got to go to Liverpool next weekend so maybe could pick up somewhere in the Peak District etc.

Anyone else live near Cheltenham going laning so I could tag along and learn a few tips etc?

Many thanks

Ben Disco 200Tdi

Reply to
Ben & Claire

I may have driven this in a 2wd Ford sierra some years ago, it sounds familiar anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Ben & Claire uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ben,

Theres quite an active Greenlane community on the

forum well worth a visit. You will need to sign up.

Whats more it's free, gets you discount on insurance too should you not be a member of any other clubs.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D