Green laning??

Hi,

this summer i'm going with my wife to Scotland, especially the part between Inverness and Thurso. There are not much roads there but I would like to know if it is possible to drive a part of the road north ( or south ) on ground roads ( is that greenlaning ? ). Anybody has suggestions ??

Reply to
J.Muller

I'd stick to the main road. There are tracks that go off the main road but you would really want to check with the relevant estate owners as to access, those that are challenging you wouldn't want to drive alone and those that aren't you wouldn't want to drive at all! If you are really keen on getting some kind of off road driving going then take a look at an ordnance survey maps and see if you see any transmitter sites on hilltops, access roads are often open and you will get good views at the end. I'd recommend heading west from Thurso and coming down the west coast on minor roads, there are plenty that are fairly demanding drives in themselves. Come back down via Durness, Kylesku, good food at the hotel in Drumbeg, Lochinver, stop to view the banannas growing in Achiltiebuie (you'll be desperate for some proper road after you meet a tourist towing a huge caravan on the road from Lochinver to Achiltiebuie!) and depending on how much time you have carry on south following the coast. Enjoy you time here.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:46:13 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@macleod-group.com wrote (in article ):

Come back down via Durness, Kylesku,

Not bad in the Kylesku Inn either when I was in there on Wednesday last week. If your in town during the day, the pies at the Lochinver Larder are recommended (although a bit pricey now they've been 'discovered'). Also the (public) bar at the Inchnadamph Hotel has the only hand pulled ale for miles about.

Probably won't be a problem later in the summer, but lots of deer about at the moment 'cos the weather's been fairly bad (snow in Elphin this time last week, although it didn't stick) , so take it steady after dark.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams