HBRO Slab Common experiences?

Hello all, a local-ish offroading club is having a driving day on Army training ground near Oakhanger near Bordon, on Slab Common. Does anyone know what this day is like? I've been out on trips on Salisbury Plain and a good 60% of the time was just driving around on tarmac roads. I'm not after serious mud-plugging but don't want to just tootle around on tarmac roads or flat dusty tracks either, a good mix of open terrain and woodland would be nice. Has anyone gone on this trip and know what it's like?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I only went there the once a few years back, I found it quite a good site to play in. As far as i can remember it is not a difficult place to drive,ie black routes for the experts. And it is based on sand which gets quite a bit boggy in places after a good downpour. There is also a wooded area you can drive through,Again not difficult or challenging but they may have changed a few things since my last visit. When is this meeting? I need to get out and play again.

Reply to
bones

The ARC Nationals were held there a few years back - excellent ground (if you are allowed to use the bits we did).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

So what is there to recommend it over other tracks, nice scenery? Extensive woodland drives? I'm not sure whether to go or not, there's a lot of decent lanes around here that have very little traffic, some tracks are challenging which is enjoyable sometimes as you can't really justify mudplugging on green lanes, but if it's not even got that then can you think of anything that makes it worth attending slab common?

I can't remember off the top of my head but the arranger's website is

and they have it marked on their calendar. It's a non-members day, I used to be an HBRO member before I bought the landy but then I moved to Dorset.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Slab's a good all round site. Easy woodland and open tracks for the shiney's and some tougher bit's if you want to get stuck. Ideal for a jolly / play day. The only downside is if the hiring club put on there 'job's worth' hats they cordon off the more challenging area's for safety/less recovery's and it's then not worth attending.

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

As i said before,I only went there the once a while back. But i probably will go again the next time. I went when the hbro club were holding an open day just to see what it was all about. I think i paid £20 or there abouts to drive around,Which also included a years membership with the club.

To be fair i cant really say wether you would enjoy it or not,It all depends on the individual. But i did have quite a good day out,Not just the driving but meeting and chatting to others.

I live in west sussex,A stones throw from a couple of good offroad play sites,But i will also travel to other venues just to see what its all about. And if i like it then i will go back.

Reply to
bones