An Alarming Problem!!!

There was I this morning driving along the country road, dog in the back, when the radio suddenly started crackling violently. Then I heard what sounded like a siren or an alarm going off. Looked in the mirrors but no blue flashing lights. It was an alarm going off, but couldn't be mine cos it's linked in to the horn and all hell lets loose when mine goes off.

Could still hear it as I turned off in to the lane where I go to walk the dog - and the bloody alarm followed me - IT IS MINE!!!!

Parked up, lifted the bonnet and gave the whole engine bay a good looking at, as one does. Engine was still running, and alarm siren still going off. Key fob having no effect. (Battery changed about a month ago.)

Switched off engine - and then it wouldn't start again. Called AA man who arrived within half an hour. In the meantime looked up fuses and found 15 amp fuse No 8 Alarm had blown.

AA man also gave engine bay a good looking at. Checked ignition and no spark. Replaced fuse and engine started, alarm went off for a couple of minutes then cancelled.

Cracked it? Not likely.

Switched off engine, wouldn't restart. Fuse had blown again.

Noticed interior alights not working, but they are controlled by the immobilser/alarm system.

AA man went to look up details of alarm on his laptop - Defender 90 50th Anniversary V8 not listed!!!!

AA man may not know much about LR alarms but he had a good supply of fuses!!!

Replace fuse. Interior lights now work. ( Also work by direct switching.) Start engine. Power is supplied long enough through the fuse to release the immobiliser and let the engine start then fuse blows.

AA man phones his mate who knows about these things and suggests water ingress - allegedly a common problem on LRs - has had loads of them like that - what a cheek.

Put new fuse in started engine drove home, left LR all day in sunshine with hot V8 engine which should dry out any water - no joy. Still blows this fuse as engine is started. Also with fuse in alarm does not appear to work.

So I have now got a LR which costs me 50p a go to start it every time!!!

HELP!!!!

Reply to
hugh

Count yourself bloody lucky!

Reply to
David French

RCD ?

Won't fix the Alarm but may work out cheaper than fuses....

I bet it's something really stupid like a blown bulb somewhere overloading the system elsewhere... or worse a bulb with a flickery filament.... nah .. to simple :o(

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

Good idea. Also just noticed, it's the Alarm Sounder fuse, not the alarm fuse - that's fuse 9.

This morning, put another fuse in and initially everything worked except lots of interference on the radio. Eventually after about 15 mins the fuse blew. I've got a hair dryer on the fuse box (hole) at the moment to see if that makes any difference.

Reply to
hugh

The crackling radio makes me think it's an earthing problem. See if you can find a common earth between the radio and the circuit that keeps blowing the fuses or possibly a common supply.

My guess is that a bad earth somewhere is causing current from other circuits to spill over into the alarm circuit.

Reply to
PDannyD

By water ingress, I take it he does not mean into the alarm casing itself, I had a similar problem many years ago, not in a LR though, where I had driven an old diesel van through some very bad flooding, the following day while driving, the alarm, like yours just went off on its own. It turned out with mine the alarm itself had water in it. My solution was a little over the top, it involved taking out the alarm and chucking in bin :o) GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Check the multi-plug on the sounder unit. normally located under the n/s wing behind the headlamp. but on a V8 50th it maybe different.

Try unplugging it altogether.

Reply to
marc

Just had a look on the V8i wiring diagrams, and it looks most likely to be a fault with one of the three sounders on the alarm - either the main sounder, the battery backed-up sounder (BBUS) or the horn. I would try unplugging each one in turn and trying to replicate the problem.

FYI: The main sounder plug is a two-pin black plug behind the LH (passenger's) side headlamp with black and orange/black wires. The BBUS plug is brown in colour, with 4 black wires and behind the LH headlamp as well. The horn plug is apparently light blue, located on the front RH side of the underbonnet and with purple/black and black wires.

This all assumes the wiring diagram is correct :o)

I have also sent you an e-mail.

Hope this helps,

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

In message , Martin Lewis writes

Thanks Martin, that is very helpful. Will have a look tomorrow. Also thanks for the e-mail. Reply on its way.

Reply to
hugh