Help for 1990 TD Please

Hi all,

I own a 1990 90 turbo diesel and have encountered the following problem. Local journeys are fine but if I travel 20 miles or more at a fairly constant speed (50-60ish) pressure builds up inside the fuel tank, this eventually leads to some type of fuel starvation from the engine which packs up. I solve the problem but taking the filler cap off and releasing the pressure (the pressure is enough to blow the filler cap half way across the road). This got worse when I tried this trick after filling with fuel - about 2 pints of diesel erupted from the tank!! I have replaced the filler cap as I thought that perhaps it had a breather in it but this has made no difference. Does anyone have any idea what causes this and what the solution would be? Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Cable

Twas Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:06:49 +0000 (UTC) when "Mark Cable" put finger to keyboard producing:

blocked breather pipe, look underneath, big pipe is the main fuel pipe from filler to tank, little pipe with it is the breather.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I wonder if that is one of those where the boost pressure finds it's way into the tank through a split diaphragm.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Definately worth checking the diaphragm in the plenum chamber on top of the fuel pump. It is pressurising positively which makes a blocked breather seem unlikely, the filler cap valve is designed to prevent a vacuum as the fuel level in the tank drops..

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Many thanks for you advice - after looking around at other places on the net I am now convinced the the Diaphragm is the problem. One question - is this a DIY job or should I get myself hosed again at a garage? Looking in the Haynes book; removal of the fuel pump appears to be a nightmare involving the use of a 'Land Rover Special Tool' This alone make me shudder at the potential cost involved - especially if I balls it up and have to pay a pro to get me out of it. Again any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Cable