1990 F600 diesel conversion?

1990 F600, Allison 4spd auto, 370. What would be involved in converting this to a diesel engine? Would I be able to keeop the transmission or would the whole lot have to go? I know it very well may not be worth it, but it wold be nice. TIA

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Warren

Matt,

It is a big involved project that basically requires a complete donor truck for the complete wiring harness, probably the fuse box, a spot for the second battery, complete fuel system (tanks, lines, pumps, sending units, gauges, etc.), air intake/filter system, engine mounts, transmission and mounts, possibly the radiator, and maybe some other items. If you can't do it yourself, the cost of paying someone else to do it would far exceed the cost of selling your gas truck and buying a diesel.

It can certainly be done, but you really have to want to do it for the project, rather than increasing the value of the truck it will drop it for most buyers.

I have converted 2 Ford gas carb trucks to electronic port fuel injection, very similar projects. It was fun, but certainly not cost effective. Both trucks are still on the road having been sold to friends who are happy with them.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Thanks. I figured it would be a fairly extensive project. The only thing that really surprises me is the thought that it would lower the value of the truck for the majority of people? It would seem to me that the opposite should be true. Thanks again.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Warren

Well you would think, but it would not be a factory diesel, but a "bastardized" gas truck. That to most people decreases the value...

This is the same old thing hot-rodders have been faced with for decades. "I am selling X-car/truck with $20,000 worth of modifications asking $10,000..."

Having done some very extensive modification projects, for the most part I would NOT buy someone else's conversion project. I do tend to be rather picky about how things are done though... At this point in my life I am generally of the mind to buy the vehicle I want as it came from the factory.

Reply to
351CJ

Maybe this would be helpful?

John Smith