how effective is vehicle sound-proofing?

Hi,

I've been looking into buying an old London Cab (a Fairway) and took one out for a test drive. So it has a 2.7L diesel engine and sounds not unlike a Landrover. As expected, it was a little on the noisy side--largely noise from the engine.

I've found some places on the net who sell "sound-proofing" solutions aimed at older Land Rovers, motor homes, or Taxis. Now I'm a little skeptical about how much noise these things can cut out. Has anyone tried these out in an older diesel or a preferably a cab?

Cheers!

Reply to
Rob Campbell

Haven't done it myself but adding soundproofing certainly works. If you go the route of using the proper materials then it can get very expensive. Some people say to use ordinary roofing underlay.

Reply to
adder1969

Dunno but taking the back seat, lugagge cover, boot trim and carpet out makes my car quite noisy. The only bit that is at all substantial is the seat back which has a steel sheet in it, boot trim is just card with fabric facing, the seat base is just thin foam and the lugagge cover is hardboard with fabric facings. Boot carpet does have a thick layer of lose underlay but that's more to level the boot floor up with the full sized spare tyre.

Peter Hill

I can't comment on a cab, but I've seen an old DI Transit stuffed full of sound insulation. It was noticeably quieter but just as rough, indeed because it was quieter it seemed rougher. ;)

Now I'm _strange_ and I *like* the diesel noise...

Reply to
DervMan

I fitted some soundproofing to my 2.5 diesel 2A. it didnt make it silent but it made it so that to communicate with the passenger you only had to talk loudly rather than shout.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You can reduce road noise by putting fibreglass insulation bats behind the door panels and in the rear quarter panels. That's pretty simple, done from the inside.

What you need to reduce engine noise is to add insulation to the firewall between the engine and passenger compartments. I've never done it but given the plethora of things attached to both sides of the firewall it could be a little complicated. I'd look at adding some sort of foam (sleeping mat for campers?) under the exsisting interior carpet where it lays against the firewall.

Rob Campbell wrote:

Reply to
Wm Watt

I would say very effective. Just look at how much is shoved into a merc/bm. The problem is that small holes/gaps let through a lot of noise so you need to be pretty through. To see how effective it is, try running your gearbox without the fiberglass transmission tunnel. (Not sure how easy this is , but was very straight forward on my serIIIs R6.) I was convinced that my gearbox was completely shagged, and then put the tranny cover back on and g/box noise was reduced back to its usual deafening roar - as opposed to ear splitting cacarphony.

Regards stephen

Reply to
fanie

Interestingly enough during a recent spell without my landie, I found driving a conventional car just too quiet, and I missed being able to tell what the engine was doing.

Mind you when I really get going a lot of the noise is from the wind roaring in through my flapping door top :)

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for all the replies. You're right, of course. I find that when I take the road noise louder when I take the boot cover off my Megane. I shall take the sound proofing as a serious option.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell

Rob Hi,

a few years ago I decided to soundproof my 1993 evented Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi and was so excited with the results that I started doing the same for the Landies of several friends and fellow members of the LR club of Greece (including a Range Rover 4.6 HSE the owner of which was so satisfied with the results that drove 100 Km to give me a ride with the car so that I could feel the difference) After ordering so many kits the owner of the company (noisekiller) has assigned me as his representative in Greece so let's say that I am connected with the company.

But the results were there before I started having a connection with the company, the products and the company's owner (who is now a good friend)

If you wish talk with Steve (phone is 0161 6438070) and I am sure he will be able to assist you into quieting down your old London Cab.

Take care and greetings from Greece Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos