How many Forest Rovers were produced?

I came across a Forest Rover on the way to Fort William last week and got a few pictures. Amazing looking thing. Is this site correct in saying there were only three made?

If so I think I have the third.....

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I don't know about 'Forest Rover', it looks a lot like a 'Roadless' conversion to me. There's certainly one of these at the garage (Tixhill??) in Killin, also in Scotland.

One of the LR mags did an article on them last year I think.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

I suspect that the one Guy saw *was* the one at Lix Toll (A85/A827). I go past there quite a bit....its the tracked landrover which I always gawp at :-)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

It's featured in the "Land Rover's across Britain" video/DVD as well. I think Gaydon have the third one.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Yes, I remember reading "Roadless", not Forest Rover now, I'm not sure this site has fully vetted info......

That was the one I saw then, Killin is sort of on the way to Fort William from Edinburgh (last Saturday there was an accident on the more scenic/direct route so we passed Killin way). Any idea what happened, massive queues.

I have the mag, but its somewhere back in England not Luxembourg. Can't remember much about production numbers though....

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

There used to be a tracked LR at a farm between Tomintoul and Lecht. I haven't been that way for a few years so I don't know if it's still there.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Heer

Yes, when I passed by I took loads of piccies of the tracked one, and dismissed the 'Roadless' as nothing special.

Boy was I cross when I realised I'd got things completely the wrong way round.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

One for sale in the LROI ads this month.

Tony

Reply to
TonyFisher

On or around Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:37:50 +0100, Nick Nelson enlightened us thusly:

which tracked one? the one with 4 independent tracks one on each wheel (Cuthbertson, IIRC) or the half-track which has an extended body and normal front wheels?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Dunsfold have one as well but IIRC it needs work

Sean

Reply to
Sean Ryan

Pretty sure it's the one with 4 independent tracks, sits high up. Nearly broke me neck looking when we passed the place earlier this year!

Chas

Reply to
Chas

Series I or II? I've seen pictures of both with cuthbertson tracks. It's quite a conversion, even involves a separate subframe to carry the tracks on.

I'm trying to find the website with the pics of the cuthbertson on.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Ah, got it:

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In article , Austin Shackles writes

The half-track was the Cenataur (or something similar?), the tracks were off some tank, hence the greater width to the rear.

There's some footage somewhere of a Cuthbertson wading through a lake, looked just like a normal LR until it climbed up the bank.

Reply to
John Halliwell

Not an S1, so presumably a II

Chas

Reply to
Chas

The former.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Yes, if anybody has a spare Centaur (the latter), could you let me know as I've always thought they could be quite good fun... until you got to a bend of course.

I wonder if rubber tracks could be used for road use? What do the Hagglunds use?

Reply to
David French

On or around Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:03:42 +0100, John Halliwell enlightened us thusly:

that's the one...

amazing things. I imagine it'd be a bit top-heavy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bugger missed that one.....

Reply to
Guy Lux

in article aBWymRAe3VR$Ew$ snipped-for-privacy@photopia.demon.co.uk, John Halliwell at snipped-for-privacy@photopia.demon.co.uk wrote on 22/8/03 1:03 am:

The Centaure was the front end of a Srs3 or a later 90/110 depending on the version , stuck to the modified , by taking out one road wheel, running gear of a Scorpion light tank. The tank museum at Bovington has two, a Srs and a

90/110.
Reply to
Rory Manton