itty bitty spider climed....

Well, not actually climbed, he came to the door in a little UPS box with some 515 and a new idler. ^_^

That's the little plastic spider in my charger. The old one was worn and belt movement was causing one heck of a racket. Little sucker acts as an isolator between the belt and the internal gears and with my HB failure the belt was whipping a bit more than it should and accelerated the wear.

Wear happens.

Gonna replace it this weekend. Just don't feel like getting greasy right now and it takes a few hours for 515 to fully set. The cool thing is I now know who made the basic unit and they sell these at a much lower price and have a great deal on reman if I ever need to do that. :)

Opcon is the company, out of Sweden. That explains why they claim the gears last forever. Heck I called and the person who answered the phone even knew the correct torque for the nose bolts plus actually seamed to like talking about the product. :)

They make real big ones too. :D Too bad at those pressures my little 4.0 would probably air-lock.

Reply to
DougW

Looks like something a ninja would carry!

Where does that go? I've heard of guys welding spiders to get rid of the differential slip?? or something. Makes it a solid axle whatever they do....

Reply to
SB

SB did pass the time by typing:

Sorta, yea it does. :)

In my supercharger. In the nose section just before you get to the body on my supercharger there is a pair of metal bits that wrap around this plastic spider. Rotation is sent through the spider and it helps adsorb any irregularities.

Heh. They call it a spider but this one is actually an isolator. Your also correct, they call the center arrangement in a diff a spider. Welding them essentially locks the axles together which is what most folks here do with lockers. Although welding is probably cheaper. :)

Basically an engine doens't turn evenly, it has surges as each piston fires. Those surges are translated into the belts. This spider helps keep those surges from causing excess wear to the supercharers internal gears and bearings.

DougW

In news:l6jhc.63115$ec1.13486@okepread01, DougW from was injured because:

| Well, not actually climbed, he came to the door in a little | UPS box with some 515 and a new idler. ^_^ | |

| | That's the little plastic spider in my charger. The old one | was worn and belt movement was causing one heck of a racket. | Little sucker acts as an isolator between the belt and the | internal gears and with my HB failure the belt was whipping a | bit more than it should and accelerated the wear. | | Wear happens. | | Gonna replace it this weekend. Just don't feel like getting | greasy right now and it takes a few hours for 515 to fully set. | The cool thing is I now know who made the basic unit and they | sell these at a much lower price and have a great deal on reman | if I ever need to do that. :) | | Opcon is the company, out of Sweden. That explains why they | claim the gears last forever. Heck I called and the person | who answered the phone even knew the correct torque for the | nose bolts plus actually seamed to like talking about | the product. :)
| | They make real big ones too. :D Too bad at those pressures | my little 4.0 would probably air-lock.

One quick note about UPS...if anyone had seen the email about terrorists buying UPS uniforms so they can drop bombs off on people's door steps across the country, it is a hoax. Search for the woman's anme who supposedly "signed" the email if you want more info. I am just posting this because I have gotten it 20 times in the last three days, and keep replying with "Don't be so gullible:

"

Reply to
Joseph P