How to remove RUST

I've just discovered a new way of removing rust from steel. This works even on pitted surfaces. Asda (Walmart in the USA) sell a product called "Asda limescale removing toilet cleaner". It's in a blue plastic bottle and is less than one pound for 750ml. It contains Hydrochloric Acid (look on the back) and is quite thick so that it sticks to toilet bowls and also to Landrover chassis parts. I've just used it on a piece of pitted rusty sheet steel and now I have a piece of shiny sheet steel with shiny pits. The only other method of rust removal I've found is using concrete cleaner which contains phosphoric acid but it is quite thin.

Obviously you should were rubber gloves, protective clothing and eye protection when using these quite dangerous products and have a source of cold water at hand in case of accidents.

Reply to
Doorbell

By a strange coincidence and directly related - I had to take an angle grinder to the works loo not so long ago... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Would this work on the black bumpers of a RR Classic '92? Obviously the paint would come off as well, but the rust areas have recently started to look like a raised, lunar landscape and I was wondering whether to attack them with a wire brush or something like the above product.

Regards,

Colin

Reply to
CJ

Have you tried the rust remover from Machinemart don't say owt in case they are listening and bung the price up but its an etching primer as well I found out about it from a group test in Practical Classics £3.50 a litre it fizzes when you put it on Derek

Reply to
Derek

I'm sure i had some of that and it didnt work very well at cleaning my toilet!....

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is your toilet made of steel and rusty?? if not, that might be why it didn't work ;-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

perhaps i need to eat more iron? ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Doorbell:

Concrete cleaner is typically muriatic acid which is a weaker form of HCl. Phosphoric acid is used for rust removal and is commonly referred to as "Naval Jelly". It works by converting rust (Iron Oxide) to a water soluble phosphate compound producing an alkali metal salt.

Always completely dry area before applying primer and finish.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Phosphoric acid is not too bad, look at the ingrediants for Coca Cola and you realise that you are drinking the stuff, also Hydrochloric, the stuff already inside your stomach is strong enough.

hydroflouric is the nasty to one to avoid at all costs.

Reply to
Larry

My first job from school ( not counting helping out in the garage) was in an electroplating lab so I 've had most types of acids and alkalis making interesting patterns on my skin.Most are innocuos while diluted like Larry says Hydroflouric is an exception at

Reply to
Derek