Rust Coating New Floor Pans

Will any of the available rust coatings go over the surface of new pans. My pans were black. I'm not sure if painted or what at the factory. If not, what type of prep will the pans need to rust coat them.

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net

Reply to
Terry Fry

Terry,

Sadly, the only real way to guard against future rusting of any aftermarket sheet metal is to strip the factory paint and start with perfectly clean metal. There is no guarantee that the metal was clean prior to painting, wishful thinking aside. The aftermarket left rear fender on my '68 T-1 is quite rusty after only 5 years, while the RH one is fine. Pick your poison as far as how to get the paint off. Phosphoric acid is good to kill any lingering rust on the bare metal prior to topcoating. It also improves adhesion of your primer or rust killing paint.

POR-15 is a popular rust-preventer. I prefer ZeroRust: it's less expensive, seems to work just as well, and the manufacturer is much more forthcoming about product content. POR-15 tries to lock you into using all their own solvents and other potions, while at the same time not really telling you what's in their product (must be magic ingredients or something.)

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams