Rust in seams...

I'm finally getting round to fitting the 'new' doors I got for the SD1, and have stripped them out. They're in near perfect condition apart from a

*small* amount of surface rust just showing in the seam between the skin and the bottom of the frame. So what's the best way to treat this given that they have to be sprayed anyway as they're the wrong colour? And should I use seam sealer? Also, anyone got a source for the 'rubber' seals between the top of the door skin and window? Rimmers list them but at a horrendous price for a simple extrusion.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd try using a wire brush dril attachment, the wheel with the bristles out of the side, probably the gold type, and push it quite hard into the seem to clear out all the rust. Then use some David's 182 Zinc, to prime it. Shane

Reply to
shane

Sorry about the bad spelling, I was rushing.

Reply to
shane

Hi Dave, I would suggest using a phosphoric acid based fluid to remove the rust as it is the only way to effectively get into the seam. If you can make up a simple bath (non metal - possibly a large plastic window box with drain holes plugged) to immerse the lower edge of the door then that would be the easiest approach. Agricultural merchants sell milkstone remover, used for cleaning dairy equipment. Deosan Dilac Plus is one product I've used, costs about 15 quid for 5 litres. For immersion I dilute 50% (remember add the acid to the water) and leave for 24 hours or so. It's worth checking after an hour or two to see how it's working, just in case of problems. The metal is left with a grey phosphate coating which can be sealed and finished as you like.

If you have an offcut I can see if there's a match available, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

Thanks, Bill. I've popped one in the post.

Now all I need is an agricultural supplier in Balham. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You can get phosphoric rust remover from Machine Mart for £3.51 per litre, works well too as long as you make sure it doesn't dry out.

James.

Reply to
James Davis

What about it?

Reply to
Andy Luckman

It would probably make a pretty effective weedkiller if somewhat less diluted. Selectivity not guaranteed, nor period of effectiveness of course. Either that or a darned good fertiliser. I doubt very much if it is on the list of approved garden chemicals though ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

Sorry, that was a reply to:

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Ah, now I see what's going on... You are for some reason posting upside down. That's why your responses make no sense, because they are appearing before the quote. See if this helps:

Andy Luckman