How to stop rust on chrome wheels?

I have a 2004 300m with the plastic coated chrome rims. I think I may have damaged them with a wheel cleaner I was using. Now I have small rust spots
on the wheels. I can scratch most of it off but not all.
I was wondering if there is anything I can do to slow the process. I was thinking of cleaning the wheels and covering the spots with clear enamel or something else that is transparent and strong.
Thanks

spots
or
Im am told to use soap and water on those wheels. I am seeing so many of these wheels being cleaned with an after market type cleaner which is an acid, it does a really good job on the wheels but the owners don't realize what they are doing to the axles, axle nut and rear bearing cups, it is literally eating the metal up.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

It's not because of any cleaner that people use.
I've only used soap and water on my 17" crome wheels (2000 300m with no plastic coating on the wheels). When I change between the chrome wheels and winter steel rims I get a good look at the hub/nut and rear cup. Very rusty. The aluminum wheel in close contact with the close-fitting rear hub has made it hard to get the wheel of on one occassion.
Those components will rust no matter what you do.
I will have to disagree with you on that, some rust is normal, but the ones that I have run across and I dont mean all of em. I have mentioned it to the owners about it, And yes they say are using a steel wheel cleaner. When the cleaner gets behind the wheel and puddles on the axle nut and the rear bearing cup cover it will corrode it. I believe there was also a TSB on this mater at one time.
I never clean the chrome wheels on my 99 300M except for the occassional car wash. They still look brand new.

Hmm,
I have always used chrome polish (DuPont) on my wheels and have never had a problem with the 300M and the Cirrus I had before. It's those friggin aftermarket wheels that haven't lasted. Never again will I purchase aftermarket wheels again!
Ken

Paint the inside of the rim with a rust proof paint like rustoleum. The rust proof paints have extra zinc in them (and here's the chemistry) which donates excess electrons instead of using the iron's electrons. Rust is iron oxide - combination of oxygen + iron and extra electrons. The zinc donates the electrons and stops the iron oxide (rust) from forming. Ideally, you would want to stick a 5 lb chunk of zinc attached to your frame but that's not practical.