I wonder where all the old AFL subscribers from 20 years ago are now. (2023 Update)

It is ages since I was on usenet first time around. I remember names such as Mother, Austin, Lee, Nige, but have forgotten so many more! Where are they all now?

Neil Green 90(the same one I had 20 years ago)

Reply to
Neil

Probably beyond resurrection like this newsgroup.

I became landroverless about three years ago, after owning LRs since

1970, when my V8 110 went two years after I had let the 101 go.
Reply to
AJH

I had to sell my IIA the best part of 20 years ago, I still miss it.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I thought you might hate it

mk5000

Ian Hislop: It is getting rather sad when I can't win against Paul when he's accompanied by a tub of lard and the questions are in a foreign language.

Angus Deayton: We did everything we could, Ian, but...

Reply to
M Kfivethousand

Well I remember the above and I am still here although I do not own a Landy anymore (sold it after 25 years) but I still have a 4x4.

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.hull

And yet, here we have 5 responses - I'm impressed! Still read, not dead!

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Hi Stephen, Now I see it, I do recall the username!

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Ha ha, Yes Paintboffin

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.hull

I still have my 1986 2.5 petrol 90 utility, still used almost daily for carting all my gardening tools. I think most transferred to forums etc but I tried them and didn't like any of them.

Reply to
Bob Hobden
<snipped>

Excellent!

I'm with you on the forums thing, that and all the facebook groups!

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

In message <rkr6l4$3o7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Neil snipped-for-privacy@home.com writes

This modern, new fangled technology will never catch on.

Now, where has that man with the red flag got to, my horseless carriage is waiting to go..

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Technology I can enjoy if it's useful, my new BMW 320i is a technical tour de force, I just hate forums. Not a patch on Usenet IME for getting answers to technical questions.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message <rkssiq$bgl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Bob Hobden snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Forums are a mixed bag, some I get on with, others not. I don't go anywhere near anti-social media.

Current run about is a Volvo V90, which is nice and has lots of toys (more things to go wrong in due course), but there is many a time when I'm going somewhere I think "Murgatroyd would have enjoyed this". Murgatroyd was my SWB IIA.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I know its and old post but my newsreader has been regenerated and loaded loads of old groups.

I've been looking at old Volvo's to replace my 2002 Ford Maverick 4x4 but can't decide, I know nowt about Volvo's, Also looking at Saab's.

I no longer own the 2a at its now in Germany.

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.hull

In message snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

I got my first Volvo on the back of a semi recommendation from the guy who the servicing on my IIA, when I asked him what he suggested for a reliable workhorse for dragging a half ton trailer around the country. As an independent garage, he saw a good variety of makes and models. Now on Volvo #5.

I sold mine 23 years ago (sob), but according to the DVLA it was still on the road last autumn, albeit with a change of colour. No idea where though.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Hi Adrian, Quick question about Volvo's, do you know which model/engine to aviod if any have issues?, My Ford Maverick has auto gearbox issues.

The Ford Kuga that I was also looking at has issues with the automatic gearbox.

Saab's I'm still looking for a suitable one in my price range and they don't have gearbox issues but they are becoming quite rare.

My budget is about £5000 or less ATM but the car I'm looking for needs to be a diesel estate and an automatic.

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.hull

In message snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Hi Steve.

Not really. With the first 5 cylinder diesel I had, there had been problems on the early versions with the injectors, I had to have one replaced. That was a V70 on a 52 plate, but I don't know what model the engine was (the badge said D5, but the engines vary with times even though the badges don't). Gear box wise, I've never had a problem.

I think with that budget, the best I can advise is to look for a suitable model (probably a V70) and then do an online search to see what it shows up in the way of problems.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I have been looking at a few V70's on autotrader for example and they do seem okay, I am leaning towards the V70 model I just need one to show up a bit closer to home as they are mostly 100 odd miles away.

Thanks for the help Adrian, im sure one will show up eventually.

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
stephen.hull