IIb Overlander Wow!

Just been sent these so thought it would be nice to share :-)

Now thats really set a standard for interior fitments for Morph...h'mmmmm.

And I also like the disk brake arrangement. I'll see if I can find out a little more about that.

The vehicle belongs to Johan B van Niekerk Vice Chairman, AAWDC (African all wheel drive club ?) Ordinary Member, LROC and EWT. Who is an understandably proud south african. And with all that playground I'm a tad envious.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The Overlanders were very good conversions and have held their value extremely well. There was one for sale at Huddersfield Independent Land Rovers a year or so ago - asking somewhere in the region of 13K

Charlotte happened to comment that I'd never get all of my worldly belongings in it though, so I walked away...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

very nice!. I'm jealous of his side door, Would seem to give you a lot more options for the camper layout. How hard would it be to fit one onto my

101? :-)

Are those the original piccys he sent you on you site?, or have you further resized any of them?. Any chance of having the brochure pages (and plan) in readable size if youve got em?

Reply to
Tom Woods

What are they a conversion of? The 101, or a civvy S2 FC ?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

That one is an old S2b FC

Reply to
Tom Woods

You can do it on the petrol tank side ok, the passenger side is a bit more tricky as you need to complete the frame where the spare wheel flap currently lives.

BUT you need to conside if your parked roadside which side is best...and which country your planning on using it most..so you don't get squished.

Brochure pics now uploaded... to be found in the forward control section of my site....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D posted ...

Heheheh, that's beautiful .. ;)

Could have done with those on my old S3 .. though I guess the drums were probably good enough for the speed it attained .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

With the IIb it's not the speed you attain, but the stopping the weight once you attain a speed.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

And theres more....piccys updated! This chaps got more camera hours than me! :-)

Lookin good!

Lee D

--

- Landrover projects site

Reply to
Lee_D

Ta!. A good read.

Its even got a shower in there!. I'm now getting cunning plans for my dads old caravan (he hasnt even got himself a base vehicle for converting yet!..so if i get in there quick...). If i strip the caravan down it will also mean that i have loads of spare ally sheets too.. What can i build with that? :) Roof extension?...

Reply to
Tom Woods

the pic in the bottom right of page 6 is going to a blank page instead of the photo. image96.html is the blank page it goes to.. Just noticed as i was trying to work out what the box thingy was..

Reply to
Tom Woods

What's that engine in there?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The brochure says its a standard LR 6 Cyl engine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Looks like the straight 6 cylinder 2.6 litre that Land Rover used in the 109 Station Wagon - luckily mine had a V8 by the time I got my grubby mitts on it - AFAIK the Series 2a & B FC vehicles only had the 2.6 as a factory fitting - what about the 101FC? Was that V8 from the start or did they try the 2.6??

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Brocure lies or it's had a different engine fitted. That's not a 2.6 or 3.0 IOE engine.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It's not a LR 2.6. The 2.6 is an IOE engine and would only have 6 rockers at the top, not 12. I've got a 109 with a 2.6 in it, it's a nice engine, but thirsty compared with a 2.25

2A FCand 2B FC had either 2.25 or 2.6 IOE The 2.25 is sluggish as hell, and the 2.6 is not a great improvement, being somewhat underpowered. Export models were sometimes fitted with 3.0 IOE, or a local engine, as in the case of the Santana.

The 101 was originally prototyped with a 3.0 IOE, but even with a Westlake head this was woefully underpowered. Fortunatly LR had the "new" v8 about the same time. They'd pinched it from Buick, I think. All the production 101's had v8's fitted, complete with restrictor plates in the carbs, producing about 150bhp IIRC.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yeah for some reason FTP threw a wobbley here and I had to intervene and do some mediation....anyway sorted now..my guess is a gearbox cover and I think the brown thing may be a engine lid with hole for gearstick but I reserve the right to be wrong :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Better still a roof that you can clip on or off dependant on your mission :-) Could be fastened down with mortice bolts into the frame :-)

Now your talking.... did you see this...

I think for use in the UK that would require "Extreme Sport" Insurance ;-)

Wicked....just wicked....And my plan for morph is free hot water by using an oil cooler from an XJ6 circa 1979 which uses a heat exhanger set up and if I'm not mistaken should easily fit into a 101 top hose.... but don't get one from Jaguar they are £75 new... only to be out done by a bottom hose which cost £110...wheres the logic??? Fortunately Percys donor car had 1 and so did the spare engine I got so I have one waiting to be fitted... plumb it into a tank of water and let nature do the rest of the work. (Nature = V8) .... besides when you've stripped your Dads Caravan you will also have a good flat bed trailer like wot I got ......

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to stand up inside the back. An extended bit in the middle like

perhaps... can't be too hard to make! :) (I'll call Davies engineering when i get stuck!)

Yeah i had noticed that... you could use it for cleaning the mud off your boots too i suppose :)

hmm. not sure how the caravan makes it's hot water, I presume it'll have a gas powered water heater in there somewhere?

Do they have enough strength for anything useful?

PS. Maplins have them little TV's for £15 now, i was considering wiring in a couple so i can have a good view of each corner :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well I used mine to move (and not all in one go)

88 inch Chassis

Jaguare engine and box complete sat on an old tractor tyre.

Two tractor wheels & tyres (don't ask!)

A pile of scaffolding.

a V8 and gearbox and transferbox...

Amoungst all the other ususal tat that one shifts about like the contents of the garage in several trips when moving house.

H'mmmm the one I have has little to no TV reception and would only be of use as a monitor..explains why the Dell boy guy at Trentham gardens was selling them off for £10...must say I was very suspicious when he gave the kids two toys from the other end of his stall when we purchased said bargain...must have been a guilt thing. But then I'm a synical old git getting.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D