Indicators are fixed...next problem...

Well thanks for the input on my non-existent indicators. They are now fixed. I merely poked around the fuses a bit then took out the hazard switch, fiddled with it, glued up the broken switch plate (where can I get a new one of these then? The one to the right of the steering wheel holding 3 switches) and put it all back together and a some point they just started working! Marvellous!

I was well chuffed when, manoevering the Rover back into the garage, next thing I know the engine starts to cough, splutter and cut out each time I start it.

I'm thinking it's the fuel pump... Tonight I was able to start it and all was well for about 4 minutes then the problem retrned - cough, splutter the revs came back then cough, splutter, the revs came back - all without me touching the accelerator. When I gave it some gas the engine would cough a bit again but if I was very carefull I could increase the revs and the thing would happily run at constant revs (maybe 3000rpm).

I'm thinking that the fuel pump is struggling? When I get the revs up there will be a higher voltage at the pump allowing it to work properly and catch up with demand. When the revs are low the voltage is less and the pump is slower, engine almost cuts out, demand for fuel drops, pump meets demand, engine increases revs and demand, pump cannot cope, engine almost dies... and on and on...

That's it I'm convinced. New fuel pump it is - unless you guys come up with anything else before lunchtime tommorrow when I'll be on the phone to paddocks...

David

1988 90 HT 2.5 pertol
Reply to
dacawa

[...]

Shite in the carb or sticky float?

Reply to
GbH

Could you have created a short of the intermittent variety when fiddling about with your hazard wiring?

Reply to
William Tasso

William Tasso uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Previous keeper sorted fault by thumping dash fecking the hazard lights.....

Rule 1 of Landroverering - NEVER try to fix everything, it's like trying to (for me) get an empty in tray...sooner you empty it the sooner it's full.

On a more helpful note, have you checked the voltage at the pump while it's doing this? Don't comit to a pump yet until you are sure.. could be a crappy feed to the pump, wire it direct and see what happens then. Or insert a clear in line filter in the line then you can see if it's a fuel issue.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Might just be a dirty fuel filter. I had similar experience with my V8, although it did roll. AS soon as I tried to put power on (i.e. up a slight hill), it died. New fuel filter and all was well.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

dacawa came up with the following;:

Try cleaning the fuel pick-up filter inside the petrol tank. s'easy to do and can make a huge difference.

Check your earth straps frpm battery to chassis and engine to chassis, indeed for the cost they're worth replacing every few years and helped us solve _lots_ of niggles.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

"dacawa" wrote

Had a similar thing on my 1986 90 2.5 petrol couple of years ago. Would run just OK on tickover but splutter and cut out if I tried to go over 30mph or put my foot down in any way. Turned out that it needed a new fuel pump. It does have a separate fuel filter on the pump inlet so make sure the tank isn't full of crud which is blocking the pump inlet. Also check the separate fuel filter just in front of the tank to see if that's blocked, new filters are available for it (if you can get it undone! if not bypass it to check.).

My guess is a new fuel pump needed.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I'm not up on details of the later engines, but the mechanical lift pump on the 2.25 engine, petrol and diesel, is repairable. They're a type of pump that's quite common in agricultural machinery, and even in the closing years of the last century you could get diaphragm-and-valve kits.

The diaphragms eventually fail, which can let fuel get into the sump as well. It's a simple job, with a good screwdriver. Just remember to take note of which way the valves point.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Well the problem wortened tonight and the motor would fire up for a split second then die... I pulled the fuel line off the carb and directed it into a container, turned on the ignition and petrol pished out like a good-un. I concluded crap blocking the carb.

Had a chat with a neighbour who is a time served mechanic about the best way to sort it out and he came over to give me a hand and I've learnt a neat trick. I turned the engine over to get it started and he dribbled petrol directly into the carb about a 5ml dribble at a time and managed to eventually keep the engine going like this for a while and low and behold the carb cleared itself and was ticking over nicely. He is showing me another trick with some brake fluid tomorrow to help clean and lube the carb but apparently the smoke may not be too neighbour friendly - can't wait!

Thanks for the help previously...

David

1988 90 HT 2.5 pertol

Reply to
dacawa

The smoke won't be overly wife friendly either. I'd suggest the cover of darkness as being a good idea before undertaking this.

Reply to
EMB