Insurance rant (OT)

Apologise for being off topic but I felt the need to vent my spiel!

Since the Cooperative Insurance or CIS closed down its offices and stopped using insurance representatives to call at your home in order to collect insurance premiums an alternative method of payment was required to pay for (in my case) my car insurance. Easily enough done you would think by setting up a Direct Debit with my bank to pay CIS monthly instalment for my car insurance. However this now has to be done by telephone or via the internet since there is no office or representatives available anymore.

I decided to setup a Direct Debit to come out of my bank on the 3rd of every month with CIS and October being the first payment, This was emphasised during my telephone call to the call centre which I think is in India.

My insurance was due for renewal on the 27th September but because I do not get paid until the 30th of each month is was agreed that the direct debit would start on the third. However in spite of three phone calls to the call centre explaining my situation the setup was as follows;

1 27th September 2005 11 3rd October 2005

The first date as I was led to understand was the start date of the insurance and the following date the first actual direct debit payment.

So why on the 27th September did CIS try to take the first instalment out of my bank when there was insufficient funds which resulted in a direct debit charge from my bank of 25 pounds?

When I called CIS to find out why they had tried to take out the first payment on the 27th instead of the 3rd they said that it is what I agreed on because I had signed the insurance document. After explaining to them that the very first payment should have come out on the 3rd not the 27th as was my instruction I asked them to refund me the 25 pound charge because it was NOT my fault the first payment came out on the

27th, reiterating why would I do so when I get paid on the 30th of each month not the 27th but CIS refused to refund my bank charge.

I therefore threatened to cancel my insurance with them and slate them on the Internet if they refused to refund my 25 pounds bank charge. They refused so I immediately cancelled my insurance the direct debits and took my business elsewhere. The CIS were not interested in losing a long term customer who had never made a claim in the ten years of being with them.

Obviously I was not happy with the way CIS had conducted themselves towards me, a so called valued customer.

Perhaps the Indians at the call center could not understand my English and interpreted the wrong information regarding the date, I don't know, but what I do know is the CIS have treated a long term customer badly and their customer relations is not very good to say the least.

Seeing as I had to find an alternative method of paying because they closed their offices and no longer had representatives available and it is they who made a complete hash of setting up my direct debit payments, the CIS can now consider themselves to be well and truly SLATED! on the internet.

If you want to be treated as a nonentity then go ahead and sign up with the CIS or Cooperative insurance company for your car insurance. However if you want to be treated as a wanted valued customer then my advise is take your custom somewhere else.

Now I am with the Norwich Union who use English call centres and I have fully comprehensive car insurance as opposed to just Third Party Fire and Theft offered from CIS and as an extra bonus 30 quid cheaper than what CIS offered.

Just thought this might serve as a warning to would be insurance customers looking for car insurance to be more aware than me with regards to signing insurance documents.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

CIS ? based on dealings in the dim and distant I would have described them as a circus act - heavy on the clowns.Uncompetitive quotes and a cavalier attitude to policies . My mother dealt with them for many years eventually pulling the plug when she found her policy had been changed without permission or notification giving her an excess and downgraded from fully comp to TPF&T this without reduction in premium. They also tried to (pressure) sell me an endowment mortgage swearing black was white how much less it would cost than the repayment I had opted for despite the fact that I had worked out the figures in advance and they had not and were quoting castle in air "facts" I didn't even ask them to give me a quote they made an appointment with my (ex ) Wife after my mother had mentioned to their collector that I was buying a house. All in all I think you may be better off elsewhere. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Stephen,

I'm with you on this one. I certainly think it's on topic as many Landy owners will utilise CIS. I would support a scheme where companies have to disclose if they make use of cheap foreign labour the likes of call centers. I feel that we should have a choice to ensure our custom goes towards paying the wages of folk in our own country first before making use of cheap labour elsewhere. I'd not mind paying a little extra to know my neighbours and countrymen were able to have some job security.I've also been very frustrated by the lack of grasp of the english langauge by people in call centres.Don't get me wrong I'm not on a racist mission, I would be equally as happy knowing some of the members of our local ethnic minorities as well as the rest of the community were able to earn a crust too rather than sponge off the tax payers.

Lee D

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months they use a mixture of local and foreign call centers.

In my experience if you get connected to an english call center you'll be speaking to some one who understands the insurance, your particular usage of English (accent or otherwise), your problem and how to get the computer system to accept what is required. Get connected to a foreign call center and you get someone who doesn't understand insurance, has to be spoken to in very simple and plain english and can only follow the computer script.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

etc...

My father was a CIS Agent for 30+ years. It wasn't an easy job but he worked at it and developed a couple of good 'books'. He retired 20 something years ago, died 11 years ago, and would probably be spinning in his grave had he not been cremated.

For him you see, the Co-operative 'movement' was important, with heritage, history and political (with a small 'p') relevance. Going to collect the 50p a week meant he had contact with the customers, and he by virtue of this managed to save at least 20 lives over the years.

The CIS however, have had to adapt to survive, losing all of the previous value, and becoming just 'another' company.

Very sad indeed, both for the customers and for the Co-operative movement.

Reply to
Mother

The co-op used to be good when you got a good local agent. to buy car

You can't beat actually dealing with a human face to face rather than over a phone and it made the hassle of getting cover notes at short notice much easier!

I dont know how CIS insurance survive now. I dont know anybody who uses the co-op now as everybody got pissed off with the crappy service once they lost their local agent!

5 or 6 years ago nearly everybody i knew who insured a car round here was with the co-op!
Reply to
Tom Woods

But were Norwich Union not one of the first to opt for indian cal centres??? I'm sure there was a big fuss about it in all the major rags at the time, and any time I call them it certainly isn't an "indigenous Britain" that answers me, usually someone with only the absolute barest minimum of a remote semi-understanding of the English language, that has never heard of Morayshire and has no idea what a landrover is! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

You could be right. ISTR thinking, Oh no, I'll see how it goes but vote with my feet otherwise.

When the Mondeo hit a wall an rolled around 50% of the calls to NU Dierct I made ended up in the UK. One to a very helpful and clued up lady with a delightful Scottish accent. She even had a DDI number so you could call back and reliably speak to the same person. Always preferable than speaking to random call center operative who doesn't know the background and can only go on the notes (if any, if accurate) left on the computer system.

The calls that were answered by someone with an indian accent were long and painful. I was only about 60% confident that what ever I said had been understood and only 30% confident it would actually happen.

From general comments in here about insurance the NFU will be getting asked when renewal time comes along.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Badger writes

Even worse, some of them use Scottish call centres. Totally unintelligible.

Reply to
hugh

I had a similar experience with Nat West trying to explain that the branch in Nantwich Road, Crewe wasn't the Nantwich branch and wasn't the Crewe town square branch. All I wanted to know was whether it was open on a Sat morning.

Reply to
hugh

Ahmnoreallyawratsharewhitye'reblitherin'oanabootthereweeman...... bytheway! Badger. ;-)

Reply to
Badger

You want fries with that... ken?

-- Mark.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

If you get someone who you can't understand just hang up and ring again. You usually get through to someone else. Some companies only seem to transfer a certain % of calls to each call centre and its luck which one you get. This only works if there isnt a big queue/wait first (obviously)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Bit yer meanin' chips sharely, nae fries, that's fur suthernirs 'nat, innit? An' ma name's Badger, nae ken. Awright? ;-)

BTW, I informed N.U. in writing that if they didn't employ people who could actually speak english I would not be renewing with them. Did I get a reply?....... did I heck as like!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Don't you mean, "more easily parted"?

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Whole point is, you/we shouldn't have to!

Same here.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Small world, I used to bank with Nat West in Crewe. I was in bed one day after working nights and heard a knock at the door, I got up and answered the door all bleary eyed and was confronted by two representatives from the bank who wanted to know when I was going to pay off my unauthorised overdraft. Ok it was in the 80's but for goodness sake it was only a tenner.

I made the bank wait by paying back a pound per week on principle for coming to my home without an appointment and I soon after closed the account, We just can't win.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I think they have become too big and so they now share the same arrogance that many other large companies do by simply not giving a toss about customers because there are always other customers to take our place when we get fed up and tell them to shove it!. They should be bending over backwards for our custom.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Glad to learn its ON topic and not just me who's being shafted.

I am NOT a racist either, Britain has always maintained a relationship with the squires and peasants the bosses and workers the rich and the poor who have always been treated as US and THEM. This tradition still continues today in the common workplace and in business but nowadays unfortunately political correctness gets in the way of commonsense.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I live ON the Wirral not IN the Wirral its referred to more as an island than a peninsular but outsiders think its part of Liverpool not realising Wirral is actually separated by the river Mersey.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull