Ive joined the club

Ive lurked in these parts for some time and have finally taken the plunge

Ive gone a bought a 3 series station wagon

So obviously my troubles have already started , how to get it from keighley to bradford

Ive rung a couple of recovery firms for a price , but havent heard anything back from them

Does anyone know a reliable firm/mate with a trailer/truck/speclift in the Bradford/Keighley area

Thanks

John

Reply to
johnty

Give Nick Kay a call, number on his site:

He may not do it, but will almost certainly point you toward someone who can.

Good luck, by the way :-)

Reply to
Mother

Can't help you, but as a guide it cost me £80 to have the 101 taken from Barnsley to Sheffield - a not dissimilar distance.

Is it road legal? If so, you could do a rope tow as long as the brakes are viable.

If the work required is relatively minor you might be able to get a mobile mechanic to patch it up in situ, then book it in for an MoT near your house and drive it over.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Technically, towing on a rope is permitted only as a emergency recovery procedure, not to transport a vehicle from one point to another. Fortunatly Mr Plod is never going to ask you that question....

If you weren't so far away, I'd move it with my Harvey Frost for you.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Monty the RRC could tow you ( I work in Keighley & live in Thackley) it's not a problem! or is it not able to be towed etc?

Nige

Nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:31:41 GMT, Alex enlightened us thusly:

and the towed vehicle has to be roadworthy and MOTd, in theory.

and if you weren't so far away, I have a trailer that'd carry it... :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not drivable then :(

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

I have driven mine in for repairs in definatly less than road legal status, with one front wheel pushed back and jammed up against the chassis, an interesting drive to say the least. Mind you that was mostly on country roads and not in heavy traffic.

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for all the suggestions......

It always was 'drivable' in a loose sense, having been stood for some time there is some issues with brakes

However, for the price it would cost to have it transported I might as well get some insurance, spend a day over there and take it straight for an MOT (well at least I'll end up with a work list !!! )

So my next question is.....

It has been stood for some time, is there anything in particular I should be 'tinkering' with (Its a 2 1/4 petrol by the way (if that makes any difference)) before I move it anywhere? I'm going to take my grease gun with me and give the prop a good old greasing.

Once again

Thanks people

Reply to
johnty

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs blithered:

I do like that lateral thinking!

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx blithered:

If it has stood for a n appreciable length of time it is quite possible for the clutch to develop an inhealthy affinity for the flywheel.

Reply to
GbH

Beware:

I know a few people who've done this. I know one person who tried it twice, with a 101. First time it worked (and far cheaper than arranging transport for 300 odd miles), second time, they told him to f*ck off.

The AA and RAC are now well sussed on this scam and there are a couple of cases coming to court (or may have started) where owners are being charged with deception or somesuch. One driver who tried this was arrested in Dorset ISTR and charged with Fraud, driving without insurance, failing to display a valid RFL, and not having valid insurance as a consequence of not having RFL and MOT (I may have the last bit slightly wrong).

Fine I guess if the motor has a valid test certificate and Tax disc, and insurance, and you want to take the chance of being sussed and getting a kin efty fine... otherwise, why not just build the cost of moving it into your buying plan. Cheaper than the 'other' potential costs :-)

Reply to
Mother

Ahh that is so mean.

I am covered for recovery by my insurance so long as I am a mile away from home, but I am also with the RAC because I want the extended security of knowing I can get to wherever I need to go in an emergency.

I have called out the insurance recovery twice so far, but the RAC not at all.

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

couldn't you roll it onto the road & call aa relay?

Reply to
Martin Edwards

After all my umming and ahhhing the guys uncle is going to shift it for me on a trailer for £20 :-)

Trouble is dont get it till monday :-(

I never really did like the idea of driving it (even though its only 25 miles) , any checks I would have done would have only been cursory and would have been mentally checked off as done.

Its been stood 6 years ish so I want to go through it very carefully. On the whole it all seems straight enough, but I think a complete brake overhaul will be in order

As to the suggestion of getting it to the road and calling the AA

I worked for one of the local recovery firms some years back and even back then we were told if it aint taxed we aint taking it anywhere. I seem to remember the boss also said something about not being insured to carry them if they arnt taxed, because it stops being a broken down vehicle and get classed as 'normal' goods , invalidating the companies road tax too. It all gets very complicated, this insurance thing!

Thanks all

johnty

Reply to
johnty