slightly OT

I eventually picked up the new(old) Landy yesterday , got tired of waiting for it to be delivered. So appologies to anyone who got stuck behind me going from keighley to bradford.

Anyhow....I found the original owners manual etc in a nice little plastic wallet, but, it has become just ever so slightly musty and a little mouldy on the back 2 pages. Obviously it being made of paper I cant wash it, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas to get it cleaaned up a bit and stop any further mould.

Also has anyone got any recommendations for oil to use in the gearbox , transfer box , axles etc (I would like to use a synthetic oil if possible)

If it makes a difference its a III series LWB station wagon with 50,000 ish miles on the clock

thanks

johnty

Reply to
johnty

Common or garden EP90. Don't bother with synthetic, they leak often enough that it's a wasted expense, they survive fine on EP90, and you'll get water in it whilst fording (even with the best of care) and have to chuck it out anyway.

The diffs in my Dad's Series IIa are still quiet, the gearbox has had one rebuild about 100K miles ago, and the transfer box is getting well noisy now but it's done ~340K miles on EP90 so you should be right for the foreseeable future.

I've got some mega expensive synthetic stuff (gift from the supplier) in my Series gearbox (in the hope it'll cope better with the Holden 6 cylinder's 170HP in front of it) but the first time I have to change it I'll go back to the cheap stuff as I don't think it makes much difference.

Reply to
EMB

You need to use a solvent to clean it - carefully and gently. Do not overwet it, then use blotting paper to gradually remove the musty stuff. Try Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol), Benzene (a bit of a nasty one, best avoided) or Acetone. Usual caveats about not taking a lungful of anything, suitable ventilation, protective eye-wear.

Use an old style (but not used) sanitary towel on large documents, use a lint-free cloth to apply solvent, etc...

or... go buy a new manual

or live with the one you have ;-)

Reply to
Mother