Kenlowe Hotstart

Worthwhile?

If you have one in a S2/3 2.25 where did you mount it?

Reply to
Dan Burdge

No idea where you'd mount it.

Had one in my RRC-with-Peugeot-2.3 Turbo diesel conversion. It was controlled by a time switch and absolutely wonderful (the Hotstart, not the conversion). I also fitted a temp switch that turned the heater fan on (and the radio! - shared supply, apparently) at a suitable temp. Result - toasty motor that started without a puff of smoke and had a hot interior. No idea if it improved fuel consumption - I didn't care - warmth was what I was after.

Kenlowe were very good as well when it kept blowing pump windings. They replaced it 3 times IIRC. Eventually I discovered that it was my time switch that was at fault. For some strange reason the hotstart did not like the mains being switched by a TRIAC and I changed to a very large relay. But that's all irrelevant.

IIRC the mounting is seemingly unimportant apart from the orientation of the pump axle - or something similar, i.e. there is only one critical plane of orientation. It must be plumbed into the heater side of the thermostat, not the radiator side, and you must have the heater valve open, i.e. set to hot, so that the hotstart pump is able to circulate the heated coolant through the block. You can extend the hoses as far as you, reasonably, like.

It's funny, I had completely forgotten about the Hotstart. I'm seriously think of replacing my current (V8) RRC with a diesel Isuzu Trooper - a Hotstart would be ideal for that.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:48:04 +0100, Richard enlightened us thusly:

I was wondering about fitting one to the TDi - very slow to warm up, yer TDi, in the winter.

there was another make of preheater that I came across - someone in here mentioned it originally, I think.

The thing i'd *like* is a diesel-fuelled preheater, so it was mains-independent.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I fitted a Webasto ThermoTopC to my Discovery 300TDi, radio remote control so I can set it off from bed or my desk at work or in the queue at the supermarket etc.... This unit, although expensive, really does the business. Cheers

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

Don't TD4 freelanders have just such a device?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:44:45 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

that's a point, I think they do. Now to find a TD4 to nick one off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles