Knackered battery or alternator?

Hi

I Drove back from work yesterday, turned off Defender to get something out of the garage, then the bloody thing wouldnt start again. (just a buzzing noise, but not very loud) It did this last year, but was resolved by tightening the battery connection leads. This time, I cleaned the connection points with WD40 and tightened, to no avail. (lights very dim)

I tried to jump-start it, using the wifes Audi. It turned over weakly a few times, (don't understand why) and there seemed to be a small amount of gas coming out by the red pole on the battery(!).

Batteries seem to cost about 90+ukp!, but I dont know whether I need a new one, or if the alternator is screwed. Anyone know how I should test?

Hope its not the alternator, because I assume they are expensive and I wont have time to fix it before driving over to England for Billing...

TIA

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

This suggests a bad connection there - just tightening it and spraying with WD40 may not have fixed it - try removing the terminal and cleaning both the battery post and the clamp. A bad connection may have stopped the battery from charging properly, but it still should jump start - although unless you have very heavy jumper leads, you will have little luck starting a diesel (or V8) without the battery in the vehicle being nearly up to it. Try leaving it connected to the Audi for half an hour with the Audi engine on a fast idle. JD

Simplest is get a voltmeter - if, with the engine running, the charging voltage rises to at least 13.5 volts initially, and ultimately 14v, there is nothing much wrong with the alternator. Of course, a slipping belt will make the best alternator look crook, so check the belt tension first. If the voltage rises as above but it still won't start, it could be either battery, a bad connection or the starter. The most likely is a bad connection. Check this with the voltmeter by looking for a voltage across the connection in question with the voltmeter. The most likely places are the connections at the actual battery, the connection of the earth strap to the chassis, and the connection between the chassis and the engine/gearbox (This is unlikely to be your problem as your lights are very dim, and the headlight current does not go through this). JD

(snip)

Reply to
JD

I got stuffed by a bad battery on a Sunday and had to pay about £70 for a heavy duty one at Halfords. Most of the time it was fine, but occasionally it was virtually dead - it was so sudden that I thought it was starter motor brushes. The volts aren't always the whole story (mine had plenty) but when we put a test load on it two of the cells were knackered. Try taking it to your local small auto factors and they should be able to test it for you - and the battery should be cheaper! The other thing to check is that the leads are OK in the terminals.

Reply to
Bob Miller

A tip: If you do have to replace the battery, fit a truck battery. Go to a commercial motor factors. You need either a Type 643 or 644. Can't remember which it is, but a glance at the terminal configuration will tell which it is. Although it appears much too big, it will fit and the clamp will go on. Much cheaper, higher capacity! Pete.

Reply to
Pete Turier

On or around Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:35:06 +0100, "Bob Miller" enlightened us thusly:

in many cases, you can fit a type 643 or 644 (small commercial) battery, they're often a lot cheaper than the "correct" one, and have more capacity into the bargain.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 12 Jul 2003 15:48:20 -0700, pete snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pete Turier) enlightened us thusly:

fits in a Disco I with about 1/4" to spare, provided you vandalise the battery clamp a bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If we're discussing batteries, may I mention a couple of places I've found on-line that seem cheap-ish (or at least, cheaper than the privce you've quoted)?

Bristol Auto Eletrical:

"Budget" 643/644 priced at £39.99 Bat Man UK

643/644 for £52.38 + VAT (=£61.55) delivered.

I have previously mentioned County Battery Services,

but they wanted £78 for a 664, which seemed a bit steep - and quoted £180 for a battery for my G-Wagen!

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:43:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

's good, last one I got was 46+vat

do you mean 664, if so it's a bigger one, isn't it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I did mean 664, and yes it's a bit bigger, but it's still only 40 quid at BAE!

Reply to
QrizB

Cheers for all the tips, I think I'll just fork out for a new battery once I have checked the connections again. Out here in Luxembourg there does not seem to be too much choice for batteries, but will see what I can find before billing this weekend.

thanks

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Cheers for all the tips, I think I'll just fork out for a new battery once I have checked the connections again. Out here in Luxembourg there does not seem to be too much choice for batteries, but will see what I can find before billing this weekend.

thanks

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I got two batteries (110 amp) for £20 each in a 'hyper-market' just into Belgium from Lux, on our way back from Bosnia...

Reply to
zebedee

On or around Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:38:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

it might not fit some applications though. 40 quid a good price.

Reply to
Austin Shackles