Knocking when wet

I have a 1994 300 disco tdi.

When we get rain, it knocks underneath. Normally on braking or cornering/body roll. It doesn't do it in the dry, only when it rains for a day or two.

Anybody any ideas? I'm ruling out gearbox drive train as it's affected by damp conditions.

Incidentally, many of you helped me with a ticking noise last year. Thanks for that. It turned out that after replacing expensive parts such as the front pipe, some nerd had put number 4 injector clamp on upside down when it went in for a replacement cylinder head under warranty months before. Just in case you hear of this one again.

kezoe

Worn rubber bushes which allow movement in the wet but not when dry?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Yes, more specifically, one or more of the steel sleeved bushes is just loose enough to move when it is lubricated by water but not when it is dry. Most likely the front of the rear radius rod or the panhard rod ends, but could be any of the other steel sleeved bushes. An early repair will save wear to the cheek plates that clamp the inner sleeve of the bushes, or in the case of the front of the rear radius rods, the shoulder on the rod. JD

Reply to
JD

I had this with a series III but it was the bush on one of the spring hangers coming adrift from the steel tube.

If it's slop in the radius rods you often feel it as a power on/off steering effect if it gets bad.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Reply to