Landrover wobble

I have a 1996 (N REG) Discovery TDI, bought in 2006 and has now done

127K+ miles. Handled fine when I got it but started to experience wheel wobble and swaying at higher speeds, with the speed at which the problem occurs decreasing over several months.

I have replaced the steering ball joints and track arm as it was so badly seized the tracking couldn't be adjusted. Replaced the wheel bearings on both sides Swivel preload is correct, drivers side swivel bearings have been replaced. Steering damper is operating correctly. Front shocks have been replaced. Tracking and wheel balancing has been fixed. The wheel wobble has now almost completely gone.

But the swaying is still present especially at acceleration and most noticeably on cornering to the left. The vehicle leans to the left slightly when at rest. I have tried to test the bushes on the panhard and radius arms with a lever but can't feel any up or down movement, there is slight movement left to right along the fixing bolt on the radius arms at the axle, is this normal? I haven't been able to test the antiroll/sway bars or connecting joints. Could these be a problem? Are there any further tests I can do to try to determine the cause?

Thanks for any suggestions

Ben

Reply to
bcwyatt65

Swaying on acceleration may not be the same cause as the wheel wobble, and is usually due to an axle turning from side to side when changing from driven to driving. This can be either the front or rear axle, and will be due to play in one or more of the suspension bushes, most likely the lower links at the rear or the radius arms at the front. In the case I had recently it was the rear lower link to axle bushes, both sides.

JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks for your quick reply, I will check the rear axle bushes. Is there a way to check the bushes condition whilst still on the vehicle? or do they need to be removed?

Thanks

Ben

Reply to
bcwyatt65

Most likely one or more of the bushes but jack up and spin the wheels, don't rule out a misshapen tyre.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Not absolutely certain, but I have yet to find a faulty one that you can't either mover with a hefty bar or see signs of movement. None of the bushes should be able to be levered to show any significant movement with a lever you can manage. It may help to try again with the chassis on stands, so there is no load on the wheels, and while at it check for loose rear wheel bearings - presumably you have checked the front. Also allow you to spin the wheels to check for out of round.

JD

Reply to
JD