LED "bulbs"

Can you let us know how much postage was from the usa please, i want to order a few of these baby's, and some marker lights and all that,

also how long did the package take, and was there any customs duty and all that malarky?? Oh, what was your order total if you could divulge that, just so i know what price to aim for if you did/didn't get customs charges added on.

Cheers.

Reply to
CampinGazz

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:06:38 +0000 (UTC), "CampinGazz" enlightened us thusly:

I opted for the cheapo letter post option which is $5, you can spend $25 and get improved delivery service... however, letter post arrived in 4 days from posting, about a week from order, so it really ain't worth it unless you're paranoid about the stuff not arriving due to getting lost or stolen en route.

if you get too big a parcel, they might charge more - I note that the postage on mine was $5.60, so they didn't make anything on that $5 carriage charge...

total including carriage was something around $68, which when my transaction was processed by mastercard came to about 38 quid. Your exchange rate may vary...

note that they also do big round "truck" lamps, if anyone wants 'em. these are something around $25 a piece, extra for a mounting bezel thing, and are

*big*, I think they quote 4" diameter - I decided to stay standard on mine, but the others would have been fun. puts the price up rather as well though.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

They are legal as a retro fit as long as they are maked with an 'E', meaning have been tested and come up to european lighting standard regulations. No 'E' = not legal. that simple. sorry - spent too long on traffic! Not like anyone would ever stop you though - ive got US spec lights on my 110! RichM

Reply to
RichM

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:17:33 +0000 (UTC), "RichM" enlightened us thusly:

AIUI from reading the RVLR (1989), you have to fit approval-marked lamps and bulbs to post-86 vehicles not might get tuits to look for marks on these, in the next day or so - got some resistors coming which should hopefully sort the indicator speed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That only applies to 'filament lamps'

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:43:04 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

true, but there's no mention of LEDs in RVLR, or not in the one I've got. However, I doubt they'd be fitting LED lamps on buses if they weren't legal somehow.

looking at mine in normal grey Welsh daylight instead of all this unnatural bright sunshine, they look plenty bright enough - and they're not that clever with bulbs in, in bright sunshine, anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If Customs & Excise charge you, they'll be levying duty and VAT on the postage charge as well as the goods.

Last time I checked, the duty-free concession was still under GBP 20, though with the dollar down a bit (it isn't actually _low_), it's easier to stay under the limit.

Remember that books are zero-rated, but don't be tempted to lie on the description for customs.

Reply to
David G. Bell

If anyone here fancies making their own amber flashers, I have, as the result of a newly abandoned project, well over 3000 ultra-bright amber LEDS, Toshiba S4E38XX to be precise. 4V forward volts drop, 50mA forward current, 3500 mCd output, 17 degree beam.

These are still pretty well state of the art ultrabright LEDS

Email me off list for a price for supply.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Or, if you prefer some ready mades this lot will be pleased to supplu / offer advice or even work up an idea!

and . . . you don't have to wait and pay duty etc!

Cheers, Lurch

Reply to
Lurch