Interesting Pacifica feature

I was driving behind a Pacifica today and could not help but notice that when the brakes were applied in the Pacifica, the high mounted
center rear brake light flashed instead of staying on steady. Seems like a great idea. Anyone knows whether it is standard or did someone add it to the car?
By the way I was driving my parents around in my 300M and I was telling them about the terrific rear seat in my old 94 LHS which they never saw. Started to wonder why the heck Chrysler made the 2nd generation LHS with a big trunk instead of keeping the big rear seat room of the original LHS. It was truely a unique design and with better quality as they put into the 2nd generation, probably could have been quite a success.
| I was driving behind a Pacifica today and could not help but notice | that when the brakes were applied in the Pacifica, the high mounted | center rear brake light flashed instead of staying on steady. Seems | like a great idea. Anyone knows whether it is standard or did someone | add it to the car? | | [SNIP] |
Just what we need...flashing lights everywhere...NOT! How in the world will emergency vehicles ever stand out with all this proliferation of lights from so many sources? Heck, why not make the DRLs flash too...I'm sure that will add to conspicuity as well! Or perhaps put strobes in the DRLs...everyone would sure see them! My preference? Turn off all the voluminous and unnecessary distracting lights everywhere!!!
Sorry but turn signal lights flash and it is not a big problem for the world.

notice
mounted
Seems
someone
world will

lights from so

will add

DRLs...everyone would

unnecessary
| Sorry but turn signal lights flash and it is not a big problem for the | world. |
...and that is what a flashing red light at the rear of the vehicle means, signaling a turn OR a standing vehicle hazard (or a emergency vehicle). Since the CHMSL can be seen several in a row due to their higher mounting heights the sea of blinking lights before you would contribute to confusion of the scene in my opinion since it wouldn't necessarily be clear as to what light on what vehicle was blinking....especially on a dark unlit road at night. Are people turning? Is there a emergency vehicle up there. Was there a accident up in front. What a mess! Not a good idea.

will
from so

add
would
unnecessary
As long as we have idiots driving around watching DVD players, talking on cell phones, putting make-up on, shaving, doing their nails, wacking off and generally doing everything but paying attention to what they are doing---driving---I say anything go's to get their attention from anti missle flares to a 12 gauge slug between their eyes.
Motorcycle DRL headlights flash.
Richard.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Richard wrote:

No, motorcycle DRL headlights do not flash. FMVSS 108 and some states allow motorcycle headlamp modulators that alternate between low and high beam at a specified blink rate, but this is neither a requirement nor is it universally permitted, and it is not proven to improve safety.
DS
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Ryan Fraser wrote:

Absolutely not.
Driver inattention is a real problem, but nonstandard lighting and signalling is not the solution.
DS

Well you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Ryan Fraser wrote:

Certainly, but mine's got a great deal more weight behind it in this field than yours has.
DS
Daniel Stern Lighting wrote:

Have any real studies been done in this area, or is everything based on opinion and speculation?
Matt
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

There've been studies. I'll see about collecting some of them at the TRB Visibility Committee meeting in DC next week.
DS
Daniel Stern Lighting wrote:

Great, I'd be curious to see the results. I ride a motorcycle and there has been a long debate about flashing headlights and tail lights for motorcycles as well, but I've seen virtually no real data one way or the other.
Matt
Daniel Stern Lighting wrote:

On the aviation side of the TRB house, sequenced and random flashing strobes and landing lights (for pattern and low altitude use; helicopters especially, but Southwest uses them as well) have been used for years in anti-collision lighting (ACL) to good effect. Same for fixed ACL use (towers, etc.). Seems aviation adopted Voevodsky's theories for use against skyplane and groundplane lighting clutter.
- RWM

How do you know that? Have we ever met?
Methinks you have dillusions of grandeur.

field
Daniel is apparently considered enough of an authority by those folks that know better as to be able to derive a living consulting about lighting. You might check his website out:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com /
When you setup a similar website and are able to make money off the subject of lighting, then you are free to claim a similar amount of "weight" for your opinions on lighting.
I do agree that DS's website needs a bit more of a biography, though.
Ted
    I have seen this feature on several different makes and models and I don't think this is standard. One person I was able to ask about his feature said it was installed from a JC Whitney catalogue order. His was the best in that it flashed three times when the brakes were applied and then stayed lit. Sort of got your attention without the constant flashing which apparently, so some, will drive the world mad and make emergency vehicles, which are larger than most cars, not stand out. It is a shame that the sirens are obfuscated by the flashing lights as well! LOL
    Mark
Art Begun wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Mark Stuart wrote:

Still illegal.

That's what the regular brake lights are for. If they are not capable of getting your attention, pay more attention or get off the road.
DS

Good solution....is that before or after somebody plows into the rear of your car and breaks your back?
| | | Good solution....is that before or after somebody plows into the rear of | your car and breaks your back? | |
...you mean from the epileptic seizure the driver behind you had that was caused by your strobing brake light?
Strobe lighting causes epileptic seizures to occur among a fairly high number of people in the population. Others on certan meds can become transed (or transfixed) by strobes. Neither situation would be a good thing to happen to a driver behind you and could certaintly contribute to the scenario you mention.