LED dashboard lights

Are they brighter or do they just use less current

Reply to
Julian Pollard

It depends on how bright they are... That's like asking if buying another box would get you a larger box, it depends on whether you buy a larger box or not!

If they're listed as being brighter then yes they are, but you probably don't want brighter dash lights, chances are the replacement would be worth it because LEDs don't tend to blow like normal bulbs, they have very long lives, much longer than incandescent bulbs so you are unlikely to ever have to replace them. Current draw is likely to be much less even if they are brighter than the original dash lights but it's the long life that's the main thing.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Actually, my main reason for enquiring is that I find the speedo, fuel and temperature gauges (but not the clock - which I bought at an Old Sodbury) too dim to read clearly in "half light!

Hence the thinking about LED's

Reply to
Julian Pollard

LEDs come in a variety of brightnesses and also depends on how much wellie you put through them so you'd need to check with the manufacturer, they might be just the job but it'd be a PITA to pull it all apart only to find out they're no good!

What make and model is the LED upgrade you're thinking of?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Haven't thought of make or model - just browsed Flebay and looked (without being any the wiser!!)

Reply to
Julian Pollard

The ones I used are much brighter. See the following page

Colin

Reply to
Colin Reed

Thanks Colin - look good but my speedo has a green filter in each light insert and I wonder if I should get white bulbs

Reply to
Julian Pollard

If they already have a green filter then I would imagine white bulbs would be fine. Saying that mine must have the filter too as I don't remember the bulbs I removed being coloured, so the green bulbs must also work with the filter.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Reed

On or around 29 May 2007 04:02:46 -0700, Colin Reed enlightened us thusly:

also try

Austin Shackles

Thanks Colin - have gone for the white ones!!

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

The white ones are so white that they override the green filters and look pale blue

Got the green ones after that and they are excellent

Thanks again Colin - and to Ultraled whose standards of service are first class

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Thanks for the feedback Julian.

Do you have any objection to me updating my webpage about your findings with the white bulbs? Just in case anyone else has similar thoughts about the inbuilt filters. If not, which model LR do you have and what was the part number of you initial white LED bulbs?

Colin

Reply to
Colin Reed

As I have said in separate reply, please feel free to quote

I have a 1989 Turbo Diesel 90 - with a clock as well but I can't work out which led bulb will be appropriate (a tiny bayonet type)

Reply to
Julian Pollard