LED lights

I found the indicator warning lights on my 1998 Tdi 90 difficult to see in sunlight so thought the solution was some t5/286 led lights which would be more visible on the dashboard

The right hand indicator warning light shows up really well but I cannot get the left hand warning one to light up

I know they are polarity sensitive but cannot work out how to switch when twist locking them in

Advice please !!!

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Gently unlock the lamp, turn around 180 degrees and put the little feet in the opposite holes and then give it a twist to lock it.

simple.

Craig B.

Julian Pollard wrote:

Reply to
CraigB

Thanks Craig it duly worked

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Glad to be of assistance. Did they work ok to increase the visibility of the indicator lamps?

Julian Pollard wrote:

Reply to
CraigB

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Sounds good, I've been toying with the idea of doing the same myself. The only thing that you'll have to watch out for is if you change the alternator bulb and it is the wrong way around then your alternator won't start charging because you'll have no excite current for the regulator. I've been meaning to test to see if it is feasible to change this bulb over but haven't got around to it yet. All other bulbs are dead easy as they are simple on-off indicators. Let me know how you go.

Julian Pollard wrote:

Reply to
CraigB

I had in fact decided it was unnecessary to change any of the red bulbs as they are visible enough so it is indicators and lights on (done successfully and satisfactorarily) and (when the new bulbs arrive) the heated rear screen, difflock, warming light and main beam ones

The indicator lights show up well in sunshine and hopefully the same for the heated screen and difflock

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Sorry to all concerned but put message on wrong string Have suffered postal delays (I wonder why ?!!!) and am awaiting various bits

Will update

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Have now installed 286 led in all dashboard warning lights and found the exercise worth while. The green indicator and lights on warning lights are much more visible, so is the blue main beam one. Not much difference in the red ones and I'm a bit disappointed in the yellow/amber ones where in the end I installed white ones rather than the yellow ones I originally bought.

Reply to
Julian Pollard

On or around Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:26:58 -0000, "Julian Pollard" enlightened us thusly:

I hope you didn't put one in the no-charge light, or if you did, I hope you put in a suitable shunt resistor, or you'll end up with a flat battery.

typical installations of that vintage use the current flowing through the no-charge light to kick-start the alternator. LEDs don't pass enough current.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin is exactly right for I have noticed "odd" behavior in the charge warning light and have accordingly put back a standard bulb

I would still welcome input on the yellow/amber lights for the whole exercise was initiated by my (old age ?!) failure to see the warnings about indicators or heated rear screen still being on. Somehow it did not seem to be a problem in my old (stolen-much loved) Td

Incidentally, I am now installing led's to the instrument lights

Julian Pollard

Dont top post ffs.

Reply to
Nige