Lightweight Series 3

Can anyone tell me if you can get an overdrive unit for this vehicle.and if it will help with fuel consumption? Regards

Reply to
mpeel

Yes you can - available again new at vast expense, or second hand (make sure you get *all* the bits) - its just the "standard" Series unit. Will it help with fuel consumption? I'd say the jury is well and truly out on that, but they can certainly reduce wear and tear on the engine and box if you are a steady driver and can make longer journeys a lot more pleasant (relatively speaking of course!).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I've noticed a slight improvement from larger tyres, which have similar effects on gearing, but throw off the speedo.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Can be more pleasant to drive and the intermediate gear ratios are helpful when towing. As for improved fuel consumption - forget it.

Reply to
Dougal

The intermediate gears are also useful with series diesel engines as a lot of hills seem to be ideal for midway between 3rd and 4th gear! (so

3rd overdrive)
Reply to
Tom Woods