lumpy smokey 200tdi

thoughts please folks on my range rover 200tdi's startup symptoms...10 seconds on heater plugs then 10 second crank leading to lumpy start fair amount of smoke and low power ...everything sorts itself out within half a mile or so. what could it be..heater plug? worse? better?

Reply to
steve

Unlikley to be heater plugs as beeing a direct injection diesel it will hardley need them unless its REALY cold! My guess would be you've got a leek on your fuel system which is leting in air some where. This leek may also be letting diesel out wich will help you find it... but thats not to say it will be. Toby

Reply to
TVS

My best guess from my own experience .... air in the system.

I thought the 200tdi's started well even with duff glowplugs.

Our Rangie VM engined TD 1990 era had similar symptoms which was air in the filter. Then again similar symtoms on a low tank of fuel which turned out to be a pinholed fuel pickup on the tank. Change that and all was well. If it's of similar aged check the fuel pickup located under the rear floor. You will need to liftthe carpet in the back and unscrew the access pannel. It's about the only place likely to rot due to the location of the rest of the metal pipes being in the engine bay.

Hope that helps.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

banjo bolts that hold the leakoff pipes on the top of the injectors?

Reply to
Mr Jolly