91 Honda Accord Lx (Won't Start)

I own a "91" Honda Accord Lx that is really tring to give me a nerves brake down. Engine-F22A1,2.2L SOHC PFI 16V,Automatic(L4)transmission

4door sedan. I'm having starting problems and I'm looking for help everywhere I can.Here is what it's doing .......... ..........In the begining it would start and just shut down as I'm driving,I'll wait about 10 minutes and it would restart.Now it won't start at all,I just replaced the whole distrutor ,plugs and plug wires.She is getting fire.Yesterday I did get it to start again but when I shut it off it wouldn't start right back up,I'd wait about 30-45 minutes and it would restart but not instantly.I would have to hold the key and let it crank,somtimes til the battery almost drained and then it would fire off. And again,shut it off and I'm dead in the water again.(Figure of speech) Somebody PLEASE HELP ME..........Oh,I know I'm not supposed it pump a fuel injected motor but I did.Gas can be smelled under the hood.My question is:If fuel filter is cloged can gas be smelled? I also get a lot of pressure build up in gas tank,when I remove gas cap it has a massive amount of air.All suggestions welcome,I'm without a ride,single mom with handicap child.This is very important.Thank You to ALL that help.
Reply to
Susie67

what it's doing ..........

[...]

Could be a clogged injector, flooding the engine. Could also be your fuel pressure, being too high (pressure regulator). Are you able to measure your fuel pressure?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

At least review the tips at

. When you say you replaced the whole distributor, do you mean you put in a new distributor cap, distributor rotor, ignition coil, igniter, and housing?

Are all the new parts you installed genuine Honda ones?

Do dump a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner (about $6 a bottle) into a near empty fuel tank, fill with gas, and then see if that helps.

"Susie67" wrote

Reply to
Elle

what it's doing ..........

[...]

------------------------------------

Forget the fuel filter. You have NO symptoms of a plugged fuel filter.

If you think it's FLOODING, do what the owner's manual says to do for flooding: hold the pedal to the floor and crank it for up to 15 seconds at a time. A dribbling injector can flood a Honda overnight. Your symptoms are wrong, mostly.

When it won't start, turn it off again and then flip the key in position II. If you hear the fuel pump run for two seconds, it should start. If you don't hear the two second pump, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (assuming you're in North Amerika)and listen to the fuel pump run for two seconds . . . . Car will now start.

It's the MAIN RELAY that needs to be resoldered. Once it runs it will stay running until you stop the VIBRATION (or cool the interior) which is what you have done before.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

curly is *probably* right about the main relay. i don't know about smacking the dash, but this is a super common issue with the 91 civic.

you can either pull the main relay and heat up all the contact points with a soldering iron to reestablish a good connection (over time the solder joints crack and cause intermittent contact due to temperature change thereby causing intermittent fuel pump functionality) or just replace it. the civic main relay is about $60 at napa.

good luck!

josh

Reply to
larson.joshua