bad starter...lumpy smokey 200tdi

had a few replies to this post before xmas but not got to bottom of problem yet, so.....any more thoughts please folks on my range rover

200tdi's startup symptoms...10 seconds on heater plugs then 10 second crank leading to lumpy start fair amount of smoke and low power ...everything sorts itself out within half a mile or so. what could it be..heater plug? worse? better?

also anyone know of online manuals in english?

Reply to
steve

Could be the injection pump, if you give it a little thorttle does it help it starting? I've just had mine reconned whilst on the vehicle and she is much better, she was leaking diesel as well though! No idea how much it normally costs, but I paid £40, if you are around South Berks or Hampshire I may be able to give you a contact.

Reply to
Matt Horn

If the vehicle performs as usual after starting then I would suspect air is getting into the fuel line, this can be from a porous steel pipe, union, filter, lift pump or even seals in the injector pump. Your sypmtoms sound like a classic case of fuel starvation. The tank and fuel lines can be ruled out by fitting a section of clear pipe before the lift pump and watching for bubbles, and similarly after the lift pump and after the filter to test those components.

Good luck sorting it out, Fergus

Reply to
fergus.kendall

With our Defender 2.5TD it was at least one faulty heater plug. Same symptoms, large black cloud, some sputter, within 15 or 20 seconds everything was fine.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Did you actually try or check out any of the suggestions from the last time you posted this. All of which suggested air/fuel leaks?

This was answered last time too.

google is very useful you know

Tom Woods

Did you actually try or check out any of the suggestions from the last time you posted this. All of which suggested air/fuel leaks?

This was answered last time too.

google is very useful you know

ta for google tip ;) i've tried the various suggestions and replaced the filter and bled the system manually with no improvement.. what i did notice tho was a leaking manifold gasket (no 1 cyl), could this cuase starting problems? ta steve

Reply to
steve

Doubt it. Have you had the glow plugs checked? If it's not those or an air leak which are the easy things to check, then my money would be on a failing injector pump. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Doubt it. Have you had the glow plugs checked? If it's not those or an air leak which are the easy things to check, then my money would be on a failing injector pump. TonyB

on this subject i tested glow plugs and they had a current draw of a constant 25 amps for about ten seconds total does this sound ok?

Reply to
steve

Doesn't sound enough to me but I'm no expert. I thought they drew 40 amps each - anybody know for sure? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

well i bought a new set of unipart ones as when i took out all the old ones they didnt work at all and they were in far too tight, the motor now starts straight away but is realy lumpy and smokey like an injector sticking or something, when i cracked each union in turn none showed up as the obvious culprit....still something not right :( steve

Reply to
steve