Military Light Switch

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of restoring a 1984 military 110 and I am converting several items to civilian spec. I would like to remove the center military / convoy switch and put it over to the regular light switch. Has anyone ever attempted such a switch over? Is the military harness much different than the civilian harness? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Ex-MOD 110

On 6 Sep 2005 20:03:33 -0700, "Ex-MOD 110" scribbled the following nonsense:

Depends on whether you want to remain original. The lightweight I recently restored benefitted from a new loom, but I left the military wiring switch in place.

With the the military switch, all you have to do is plug the wires in the back, while the conversion will require considerable headscratching to make sure the correct are energised at the right time.

Military switches also cause much amusement to MOT testers, especially when they switch it to convoy mode after testing the headlights, and then notice that there are no brake lights, but a single white light from the white plate on the rear diff!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Thanks very much Simon for your reply. When you say plug the wires on the back do you mean to jump the wires within the plug - bypassing the switch?

I usually am really particular about keeping things stock but a Defender is a really rare vehicle in Canada and I am looking forward to dressing it up a little bit for farm and road.

Thanks again.

Perth, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Ex-MOD 110

On 7 Sep 2005 06:01:12 -0700, "Ex-MOD 110" scribbled the following nonsense:

Just plug the original wires back onto their original position. I initially tried to bypass the switch and nothing worked......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs