1990 Range Rover Classic won't start

Can anyone help me out? My US spec Classic will not start when turning over with just the key. If I spray some starting fluid in the intake it starts and runs fine. Shut it down and it will not start without the starting fluid. Seems to me it's some kind of relay or switch. The coolant light is also on if that helps at all. Any help before I have it towed to a shop would be great. Thanks in adavance.

Doug in Round Rock, Texas

Reply to
Doug

Doug

Could be the cranking signal isn't giving enough enrichment via the ecu, or even the coolant temp sensor for the efi system? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

As you are in the US I take it this is a petrol (gas) engine not a diesel? It's said that starting (diesel) engines with starting fluid knackers 'em and they'll refuse to start without it from then on. The starting fluid ignites much to early and the resultant overpressure damages the rings reducing compression. As the thing wasn't starting well in the first place probably due to poor compression at cranking speeds starting fluid only makes things worse.

I'm not sure how starting fluid would behave in a petrol engine, I've only ever come across the stuff in relation to diesels.

Coolant light as in "I haven't got any water in me" or coolant light as in "I'm overheating switch me off". If the former have you been running it much like that?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice