indicator warning light always dimly lit (101 on normal military wiring diag)

I rewired my truck last year. I went by the book for the indicator, hazard switch and flasher relay wiring (Except it now goes via a fuse!). The flasher unit is the big original one with about 6 pins

All was good for a while, but the bulb went in the hazard switch after a few months and i had to replace it. Around this time i noticed that the indicator warning light was always dimly lit (it is not obvious unless it is dark out). This causes my battery to go flat over a couple of weeks if i dont use the truck.

If you unplug the flasher unit it goes out.

Has anybody got any suggestions? It still flashes properly when it should and all the indicators work along with the hazard switch.

Am i likely to have a duff flasher unit? or have i missed an earth off somewhere or something?

Now that it is dark all the time i can see it glowing when i walk past the truck and don't think it is doing my battery any good.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Do the indicators work with the ignition off (other than the hazards?). If so then wire it to the ign live side.

Maybe the relay arcing, can you pop it and clean the contacts.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

ind warning light is fed straight off a terminal on the relay so i cant feed it off just the ign live.

I think it all is perm live (both inds and hazard), but i will double check.

I'm going to double check the wiring diagram over the weekend. I've been thinking and i think there was suposed to be both ign live and perm live wired to the hazard switch and i just put perm live on them both..

the relay is one of the big 6 pin military ones. I should think he has some in over at hinstock so may pop in and see if i can borrow one to test it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ahhh! That may be the problem then.

Lee D