Miniture LR project - Project Junior

Well, it had to happen sooner or later....

For the kids...honest!

I've got the donner chassis now an old Case ride on mower, removed the blades, needs an engine, widen the track , replace the front wheels and relocate the axel accordingly then fabricate a body. I'd aso like to be able to make a series and a 101 GS body to swap now and then but will need the facility top relocate the brakes throttle and steering linkage....

If any one has a vertical shaft petrol engine around 4 or 5 hp being used as a door stop I could find it a new purpose in life..not one of those fast revving malarky things though , must have some throttle control.

It has fwd fast fwd slow and reverse... chain driven rear axle with a diff too :-) oh and brakes.

pics in the usual place....

Penny for your thoughts.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Smashing idea. This will make a nice Graduation present for your youngest, I'm sure... ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hell no..... it will need considerable field testing before any formal handover.

:o)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Have you considered electric?

Go to your nearest wheelchair shop and get a second hand motor or two plus some second hand batteries and you have a very powerful car for the kids. Got mine for £10 per motor and £10 per battery.

I built the jeep and the landrover from plans

used wheelchair motors and batteries, not the ones from reallifetoys, now have a couple of machines that will go non-stop for 4 to 5 hours and will take my light (18st) weight.

Spend a bit more money and get a fully variable speed controller from

and you have full forward and reverse and engine braking.

and best of all as it is electric they are fully pavement legal! -- Lightweight 1979 nigelATleginDOTorg Google first ask later

Reply to
Nigel

Yep, but around £500 for a motor and controller from 4qd kind of put me off... but then I didn't know exactly what I was looking at at the time.

Now this is a lot more like the sort of prices I'm used to playing with.

Do you have any piccys? I have the existing gearing to work with which is a very odd affair whilch I'll post some futher piccys of when I get chance. I also have an option of a belt driven gearbox with 3 fwd and 1 reverse gears (if I recall correctly) with a chain driven output.

This was one of my concerns, by that I mean the longevity of the batteries.. what sort are you running?

What sort of range do you recon that would give on a full charge?

Yep looked here but as above not 100% certain what I was looking at , I need to do some more research.

Another bonus and definately needing consideration for shows etc.

Cheers

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Anyone built a real 4 wheel drive 'un ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

the NCC 70 24v £87.50 inc vatand the plunger operated pot
- this is the accelerator. Just need a forward and reverse switch toadd to this. The speed controller is very good, if the kids slam their foot to the floor (we do so why should they not) it ramps up at a rate you can set and the same for slowing down. You do need a parking brake.

Wheelchair motors come with gearing built in I think it is around 25:1 I used 14" dia wheels and a 2:1 reduction via bicycle gears and chain from the motor, this gave a brisk walking pace speed.

Batteries are the standard wheelchair ones - no idea what amp but two 12v batteries wired to one 24v motor managed to have car and 4 seater trailer -

6 kids - running for 4 hours at the local school fair, ran out of time not batteries. In the past I have used normal car battery and a deep cycle lesuire battery, both are totally useless, lucky to get an hour of them.
5 hours at a steady walking pace?

Pics should be on the way if I managed to de-spam the email correct

Reply to
Nigel

wrote

Right... I'm set to get stuck in this next week I need an engine though, It's got to be something like a 4 or 5 hp Honda type with vertical keyed shaft 25mm in diameter to fix up to the existing jiggery pokery.

Can any one recomemend a Engine of this type (typically found on large mowers, ideally it should be as quiet as possible purely for passenger comfort...can I make my own exhaust I assume if it's 4 stroke they should be able to be shut up nicely, easy to start by rope and have a throttle arrangement..i.e. not fixed at warp five like some mower engines seem to be.

Lee D