Gone and done it now!

Well I've done it. I've bought a 101GS! Went and looked at two at the weekend, taking my brother, who is a bit of a landrover fanatic (he's just restoring a series iia). One was Kay's and the other was one Martyn put me on to. We were very impressed with both, so much so that brother bought Kay's and I bought the other! Since then it eaten its way through my bank account, now I truly am a landrover owner :o)

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Kay's Tommy, so I won't bore you. The other, mine (haven't managed to come up with a name yet), is a 1976 GS with the original engine. Its had an overdrive fitted, new tilt, RR seats, LPG tank (but not yet converted) and been recently re-painted. The previous owner has made the tilt frame out of scaffle pole, so I'm after one of those soon. It came with all the tools, service history, a separate tool kit, 5ft jackall, 5 boxes of spares, operators manual, parts book, repair manual, two spare wheels, two tins of paint, 6 months tax and some mot, as well as three years worth of six stud magazine! The chassis is completely rot free, and there is only one small body panel that is rotten. All for the princely sum of £2500. I think its a reasonable buy.

Trying to get it ready for an mot at the moment. The brakes are the only major issue. I've got them in a million bits at the minute. She has been stood still for a long time, and the back brake cylinders are seized. Still, new parts are winging their way to me.

Drove it to garage when I got it back. That was the second time my knees went weak that day :o) It was an interesting experience as the petrol seemed to be going on the floor as fast as I put it in. Further investigation showed that the filler pipe was perished. It looks like a right beauty of a job to replace, so any tips would be handy. As would a source for the pipe.

The only other major thing I have yet to sort out is the seized apportioning valve. I have yet to remove it, but am sure it is shot. Have yet to source one for reasonable money, john craddock wants £250 for one! Does anyone have any cheaper suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Reply to
Graham G

It's a sure sign. Probably a better sign of authenticity than the oval badge.

Congratulations!

David

Reply to
David French

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Fuel filler pipe was a real arse on the ambi.. I had to remove a pannel (blasted prototypes!!!) byt other than that sweat tears and skinned knuckles....

101 Club supply the pipe for just over £30 (Check out six stud then ring Darren Parsons) which sounded alot but I suppose it's £80 cheaper than a Jag bottom hose :-( (Another story of old)

Don't touch the apportioning valve just yet..the military used to run the

101 loaded at all times ...I.e. 5 ammo boxes of sand in the back to keep the weight on (according to the book anyway) If you do remove it then the brakes will be locking up more often than not on the rear axle especially in the wet on a GS. The military Bedfords had the same valve I'm led to believe.

Just get the brakes back together...ah, remember it well...6 frost bitten cold dark nights this time last year...then I threw in the towl and sent it to Land Ranger Services who sorted it for just over £300...the exact figure escapes me but I had two cylinders sucking in air and a broken adjuster,,,thats on top of all the usual 101 brake bleeding fun.

I'd love to see a piccy of how the rangie seats are fitted.

Sounds like a good deal... and just in time to get ready for show season.....

Martyn!!!!! Membership form required here!!!

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes, bypass it. You'll find the rear wheels have a tendancy to lock up in the wet under heavy braking, but you learn to live with it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Good show, pointless doing these things by halves ;-)

May I draw your attention to:

Please don't panic if I don't process it immediately as I'm currently wading though 600 odd renewals :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

And yet I still havn't recieved last year's renewal......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

'twas sent out... I figured that as you'd sold your ambi, you'd decided not to renew.

I can always send you another :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

apportioning

The funny thing was seeing Grahams brothers face when my adopted son Matthew got in Tommy (He's 14) and drove him round the six acre field in top gear "he's found some gears i did'nt".......

Reply to
Brevit

No, don't need it anymore!

:D

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Faxed it to you yesterday. Quick off the mark me :o)

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Twas an expensive and enjoyable afternoon all round. Brother Richard had no intention of buying one on the outset, but once he'd had a go he was smitten.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Hmmm sounds a bit dodgy. Have yet to get mine off, so it may be possible to free it up. Here's hoping. Failing that I might well take up your suggestion.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G