Modified vehicles

Came across this link on uk.diy

the face of it, may have serious implications for landie owners. The webpage contains a link to the actual EU proposal

Reply to
hugh

So that'll be like Italy then?

Hmmm.. Will this be something our lot in the UK will jump on board with, or chose not to?

Info passed on anyhow. Thanks.

Dave B. Owner of a somwhat modified LR. More a Series 4 and a half, a 109 coiler with 200TDi.

Reply to
DaveB

"hugh" wrote

Unless I'm reading that wrong my Landrover 90 with it's replacement Weber Carb would be illegal.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

If it goes like some places (Italy?) even fitting different make of tyres (even though the same size/construction tread type etc) when the originals wear out, will be regarded as a "Modification".

Dave B.

Reply to
DaveB

In message , Bob Hobden writes

If you take it literally then yes. In a similar vein, some prat from the RHS deemed it necessary to point out that if you use coffee grounds to deter slugs they are an illegal pesticide. However if you put them round your plants as a mulch, that's OK. That's the idiotic world we live in.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Bob Hobden writes

If you take it literally then yes. In a similar vein, some prat from the RHS deemed it necessary to point out that if you use coffee grounds to deter slugs they are an illegal pesticide. However if you put them round your plants as a mulch, that's OK. That's the idiotic world we live in.

Reply to
TonyB

"hugh" wrote

Yes, I've read that article in this months "The Garden" too but already was aware of that situation. Chemicals in the garden are only to be used for the purpose they have been tested for at great expense. So substances we have used for generations, whilst still allowed to be used for some purposes, are not for others because they haven't been tested for that. Caffeine has not been subject to testing as a garden chemical so legally cannot be used as a slug and snail deterrent yet it's drunk by most of us daily, however as coffee grounds are a natural organic substance they can be used as a mulch. I've been using them for years!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

OK... Panic not, for the moment....

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
DaveB

When I read the EU proposal, it was full of implications, and it seems that parts made to the same design (Or made to the same or better standards, as long as they meet or exceed the original legal requirements at date of manufacture) as original parts should be acceptable, but some governments may choose to gold plate the requirements.

For modifications, it may be possible to say that such and such is available as an option in the vehicle maker's catalogue and fit it. Or if you bolt an aftermarket winch on, then unbolt it for the MOT.

So it wold seem Britpart or similar components *may* be acceptable replacements, and items such as replacement chassis *may* be acceptable, provided they follow the original drawings and material specifications. Of course, with our Government's talent for such things, they may just decide that all parts fitted must be traceable to the manufacturer's part number as supplied and fitted, and be by the original maker. Which could cause severe problems if the maker has gone out of business...

Reply to
John Williamson

Did I see some mention of the extension of annual tests to include trailers? That's either scary or good. My antique, non-plated, trailer would, presumably fail and require scrapping :-(

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

That's either scary or good. My antique, non-plated, trailer would, presumably fail and require scrapping :-(

Yup. And not before time, from the standard of some caravans I've seen.

It might even have taken the trailer I saw fall apart in front of me on the M40 this afternoon off the road. Luckily, everybody missed the bits.

Now, if they would also extend the test to the domestic gas and electric services in caravans as well as the road lights, they could make caravan sites a bit safer.

Reply to
John Williamson

What is this obsession with regulation regulation regulation?

How any fatalities have there been due to faulty gas/electric services in caravans recently?

Reply to
hugh