My first Landy

Hi All,

I've just bought my first Landrover "project"

1972 Series 3 109 Carawagon 2625cc six pot... Serial No: 00145 good original condition.

A couple of questions to start with...

I just took the battery off to charge it up and found out it's a 60 leisure battery !! - That must have been put on at some point to test the electrics cause surely that wouldn't turn it over ? ... What rating battery would you suggest for the 2.6 petrol ?

Fuel...Will this be ok running on current normal unleaded petrol or should I fit hardened valve seats (if I can find any for this engine) ? what do you other series owners run them on ?

Cheers,

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

ISTR that the six-valve was already hardened (although I never had one, so can't confirm or deny) and could run unleaded unmodified. There was something in LRO years ago about, I'm sure.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I run mine on standard unleaded, put it this way it wasn't the valve seats that caused the last engine to die, and probably won't be on the replacement either.

Reply to
Larry

That engine already has hardened valve seats. Should run fine on unleaded. JD

Reply to
JD

A 643 (as fitted to 2¼ Diesels) shuld do the job - the 6-cylinder is a good starter when set up nicely.

The 6-cylinder has exhaust valves in the block - changing the is going to be difficult! It really depends on what usage you have in mind for the vehicle - if it's only occasional then using unleaded will take a long time to do any real harm. If it's every weekend then an addative may be the best way, but for daily use an occasional tank of real 4* or LRP say every 3rd or 4th fill will perhaps be sufficient.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:04:52 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

'cept that it's getting increasingly difficult to get 4* leaded or LRP. I did see a garage in the sarfeast selling it, but round here it's all vanished, so additive is the only answer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's one in Nottingham

Stuart