Need advise on buying a 1999 Range Rover 4.0S here in Arizona USA

I'm looking into buying a 1999 4.0s with 124,000 miles here in Arizona with zero rust. However, the front air suspension doesn't wok and the engine seems to run strong. The ABS light is on. The owner is asking $5995 OBO for it *way below private sale value*. The body, paint and the leather is in very good condition. I'm handy doing my own work

*just need good direction*. I'm in the process of contacting the owner to find out what exactly is wrong with the suspension. Carfax report is clean and been a Califonia car most of it's life and shows scheduled maintenance till 80k Miles. My question is am I getting a can of worms here and what else should I look out for?

Thanking in advance for your help,

Dinesh H

Reply to
DH

The owner contacted me and was told that the ABS light is not an issue. Land Rover has given an estimate to first replace the valve seals/O- rings at a cost of $300 to see if it cures the problem. Failing that they have told him the Valve Body may have to be replaced @ $2000. The other problem is torn front Ball Joint boots.

Reply to
DH

I've seen a fair number of 4.0's advertised here with "engine replaced recently", at around 100k, sometimes less. That put me off the 4.0 somewhat. Having said that, I have never owned a RR p38, so its just an opinion. MInd you it seems quite cheap. Have a look on ebay and and see what they sell for under "completed items"

Reply to
madhatchetman

The engine is strong on this one. Like I said, it only need Air suspension work. It doesn't look like it has ever been taken off road. A 4.6 HSE came up for sale for $6,495 with 110k miles. Unfortunately, it is at a shady used car lot here in Phoenix and have had 5 previous owners.

Thanks for your reply,

Dinesh H

Reply to
DH

Try this web site you might get some pointers.

Tim