Buying a Camry 2000 LE. Need feedback please.

I am looking into buying a 2000 LE Camry from Texas. I will tell you what is has and hopefully, somebody might be able to tell me if I am getting a good price. I plan to get it in a day or 2. Did a carfax and it is clean. Took it to an Autoshop and he told me that the car has never been in an accident before. The seller buys and sells cars via Dealer's license and quoted for $8200. Currently, I managed to get it for $7700. KBB.com quote me: $6,495 for a Good condition (not excellent) TRADE IN $7,900 for a Good condition (not excellent) PRIVATE PARTY $10,150 for a Good condition (not excellent) RETAIL

There are some problems with the car (listed below).

Picture of the car:

Camry LE 2.2L

73,000 miles

-Automatic

-Cassette/CD player

-Cloth interior

-mud guard

-alarm

-keyless entry

What it does NOT HAVE

-NO ABS

-NO Leather

-NO moonroof

-NO spoiler

Problems:

-There is a marking like "56" on the top of the transmission. There is also a green dot on it, which usually means that it is from the factory/mfg original transmission. Worried that it is a rebuilt transmission or replaced transmission. I took it to a Gemini Goodyear store and they told me that it is original cos the bolts did not crease from people trying to open it.

-"Check Engine Light" would come on. The guy told me that it comes on and off. When i tested the car, it drove fine and it came on for the 2 mile or so drive. I am not sure what is the cause but it could range from a simple thing to a major problem. Gemine store guys told me they were not able to diagnose it cos it was not on at that time. (i know, that sound weird to me too)

-Rust on Engine (please see pictures)

-Scratched up left bumper

-Left rear suspension / strut protective cover is torn.

-Tires needs to be replaced. It has like 5,000-10,000 miles left on it.

With the problems, would it be a good deal for me to get that car? Do I need to worry about the writing on the transmission? How much would it cost (ball park) to fix the "Check Engine" problem? Or a range of price.

Thanks. It's my first car so I am doing quite a lot of research but I know that there are a lot of people here who knows much more than me.

Thanks in advance. skewe

Reply to
skewe

I assume you will get no service records with the car? You should have had the valve cover taken off to see If it was clean or not. A compression check could have been done also. Too late for an oil analysis. Check engine could cost from $100 to several hundred or more, you need to find out what code it is.You have to read it while light is on. Toyota dealer may charge an outrageous amount just to tell you the code. Autozone? May read it for free. I would want to know what is wrong up front! Thats a lot of rust on that engine, wonder if it was a flood victim? Oh yeah better put a new timing belt in there as well as fuel filter so add another $300. Tires will cost another $300-$400 installed.. Brakes OK? if not add another $300.. Good luck.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Thanks for your feedback.

I will definately get the CEL checked before i pay the guy. I think it is too late for me to get the valve cover off to check. I did check the oil dip stick and the oil looks clean, that was after 1500miles of driving. Carfax looks OK but carfax is never 100% accurate. I will factor in the fuel filter and timing belt.

THANKS!

Reply to
skewe

just put a clause that says "subject to mechanic and wife's approval". This way the mechanic may approve but if your significant other does not, you can walk away with no loss

Reply to
Car Guy