NERC

Just been on the glass web site and found out that Nerc went through parliament and as fom May 2nd rupps and dual status have roads had there vehicle access rights removed, we all new this was coming but I have not heard a mention of it in the news (I donnt listen to much news though) so how are the public supposed to know that they cannot drive somewhere they did a couple of weeks ago. And how do you find out if a lane has been upgraded to a byway I asume that the local authorities will eventually sign post them but i cannt see that taking much priority in budget spending!

All these questions and more to come

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky

If you were a member of a decent off-road club you'd have known about it.

Find a decent off-road club and speak to their rights-of-way boffins, in theory you can go down to the local records office and look at the definitive map, which will have successful byway upgrades marked on it, and in some cases where a claim was going through before a certain date and evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of off-roading, it's considered OK to drive the lane.

If you're not already a member, join GLASS or CRAG.

And for those who never joined any organisations intended to give you a voice, or who don't try to help in some way, please don't bitch about the NERC bill as you didn't lend your voice to the cause.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Easy Tiger :-) I have been a Glass member for the last 4 years, I was just trying to so how badly publisised the Nerc bill has been and how confusing the rights of way netwok is

Icky

Reply to
icky

Icky is right that there has been very little publicity about the introduction of the bit of the NERC Act that converted RUPPs into Restricted Byways (in England, Wales is to follow later in the year). Even looking for the information it took me some time to confirm that the change to RBs had been implemented on 2 May. I suspect that 90% of green laners are still unaware of the change, even if they do belong to clubs.

Fortunately in Hampshire we will only have lost about half of the lanes in the County (if you include all those that re now dead ends). In West Sussex the news is considerably worse with virtually all lanes having been lost.

Patrick

GLASS Area Rep for Hampshire

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Patrick Manuel uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Didley quat in Staffs to start with, which is a bit of a blow when seeking them in a 101 :-(

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee,

Is that because there were never any RUPPs in Staffs, or because the Local Authority had complied with their statutory duty and reclassified all RUPPs (hopefully with some as BOATS)?

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

There's quite a lot if lanes in Staffordshire round Cheadle etc, but as most are UCR's and used quite regularly (and maintained by the council to some extent) they don't seem to count. We used to use then regularly with the horse and cart.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard,