Another missive from No.10 (NERC Bill)

Response from No.10 re: the NERC petition.

Another wonderful piece of spin from Smiling Tony and His Chums.

"on the historical horse & cart use"????? So how come the ford at Ashford (note the name) is closed? What was a ford for? The lane in Cheshire that went to "The Old Forge" - did thay take the card wheels there for new tyres on horse-back? What a load of cobblers.....

Then "Existing byways open to all traffic... 2% of the network.." It used to ve 4 to 5% before the act, so what they are saying, but not being honest about it for a change, is that *after* the act nothing will be changed - which is just a bare faced lie - they

*have already* reduced the network by half, but omitted to mention it.

Here's the link to the reply:

And they wonder why no one votes or takes an interest in the political process......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

This is why the petitions need to be carefuly worded, they will use weasel words to dismiss a poorly worded one like that. They need to include proper figures. I'll have to moan at GLASS to put one in, properly worded and members asked to sign. At least we'll see what new weasel words they use to "explain" their reasoning.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Personally I think the whole concept was shot in the foot by Mr Blair himself when he dismissed the Road charging one a while ago.

If around 1.5 million or whatever it was don't count then they are hardly likely to give two hoots about a few thousand irate and frustrated minority group members.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

It's no different to the written ones, but it's a means to get your voice at least heard, but it's unrealistic to expect the government to just change track because of a petition. The problem with living in a democracy is that it includes those who disagree or who don't give a toss as well.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Unless they like ballet, opera, running in circles round a stadium, youffs, etc (or, presumambly any combination of the aformentioned) in which case 10 people can get millions *and* some "case workers". I'll not mention other groups who pretty much get what they want as I'll doubtless be accused of being ist.... you have to be the right sort of minority be be a proper minority it seems ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

I was trying to reply to the reply but it appears to be not possible.

The reply states that

"Existing byways open to all traffic, ... will not be affected in any way."

This is factually incorrect. *Most* will not be affected however in Norfolk, on one OS map alone, we have lost two UCRs due to the act - we've yet to check the others. This is due to 'dual status'.

It appears that if a RoW is on the list of streets (ie a council maintained UCR, a BOAT) *but* for historical reasons still appears on the definitive map (for whatever reason) then mpv rights are extinguished over that route. Until whatever legal process is conducted that has been put in place to allow the five-year use exemption rule to be implemented then it is *illegal* to drive a dual status UCR (be warned!!)

I have asked defra to clarify their guidance note in the hope that, as our council lawyer thinks, defra have got it wrong ... but I don't hold out much hope.

Reply to
AJG