New Defender model

I have had my Defender Black for three years now and I'm looking to replace it with a new Defender. Does anyone here know of Land Rover's plans for a new model, if any?

I've been told there's a new engine and that possible other changes could be made but he didn't much more information than that.

If I'm going to buy another, it would help to know more about the forthcoming plans.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Steve

My understanding is they are changing the Defender very soon, although it will look much the same as the old one.

I saw one in my local Morisons supermarket this was a 110. it had high back middle seats, it also only had 2 forward facing high back rear seats all seats had a 3 point belt.

It was 6 speed, and the transfer box gear lever was different as well. The dash was different with 2 large pods for the aircon.

Apart from that it was the same. If you need 9 seat 110 or a 7 seat 90 I would get one now otherwise you will be disapointed.

I also understand they are putting in a Iveco / Ford engine

Duncan

Reply to
DUNCAN PARKES

Are you sure that wasn't a Santana?

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

It was definitley a Defender, I live in worcestershire and you often see new Land Rover vehicles before they are released for general sale, There was a RR Supercharged Sport a good couple of months before you could buy one, it had only just been annouced. It must be a perk for the guys at Land Rover in Solihull.

It was a silver 55 reg, I can't find the auction site but the TD5 plant is up for auction, so the engine is defintley going and the Land Rover dealer where I bought my Defender from told me they were changing to 7 and 4 seats. He was maximising selling 2005 models to his clients who needed the seats

There was a deal on 2005 model land rovers =A32000 off but only =A3500 off 2006 model, so I assume this must be a 2006 model.

Cheers Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

Thanks for the information on this. It sounds from what you say, that it's still the same vehicle. I'm happy that they're not changing it too much.

The six-speed box would be better I suppose. I drive from the Midlands to Manchester every week in my Defender and it can be a bit tiresome. If I didn't like the Defender for its other virtues, I wouldn't be so good for me.

My dealer told me today that it's a Ford Transit engine that's being put in. As I said earlier, he didn't tell me too much. I don't really like the sound of a Ford Transit engine, but hey, that's the way things are now.

You mention the seats being different. Are you saying that the far rear centre-facing seats are going?

Reply to
Steve

The one I saw had 6 speed box, but doesn't mean that this may be a production vehicle although I would imagine its the box off a Disco 3 manual. If you end up with a 5 speed box I would go for a GKN overdrive I have one of these and it is very good. Ashcroft do a QT upgrade which basically changes the transfer box to the same as a Disco which would have much the same effect.

The rear seats are now forward facing and there are only 2 of them, this means a 110 is now a 7 seater and a 90 is a four seater. I guess it must be due to EU saftey rules

The TD5 "Storm" engine would have cost too much to meet the latest emmisions guidlines and as Ford make perfectly good engines why would they make another. I think the capacity of the new engine is 2.4

Hope this helps

Reply to
Duncan

On or around 6 Apr 2006 14:17:55 -0700, "Duncan" enlightened us thusly:

rather depends on what management they've decided on. The duratorq from the top end of the transit range is 137 ponies with "transient overboost" which gets you a nice wedge of torque.

lesser ones aren't so impressive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My Friends at Ford tell me that a V-6 diesel will be installed in the Disco 3 and the new Defender.

--Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

There has been a distinct lack of the mention of leaks in this thread. If they are going to replace the engine and box does this mean I will have to start manually spraying the drive with oil?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't worry, plenty will continue to drop from the axles and swivels....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I expect it'll come with some free spray-on oil samples, as well as some spray-on mud if you get the "Tomb Raider" add-on pack..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I bought my 110 2006 model in October the only real difference over a

2005 was the fit of the rear windows. Now bonded rather than riveted.
Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:25:01 +0100, Jeffrey S Austin enlightened us thusly:

they already have the V6 in the D3, unless this is a different one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't worry mate ( assuming I ever get a disco) I will be up in a jiffy if you run out speaking of leaks

Derek