New Disco gear change problem

LR Folks

Sorry if this has all been asked answered before but I would appreciate any comments.

I bought a new TDI disco last August and since then have been working / battling with the dealer and now LR themselves over gearchange problems. The vehicle is now on its third box and the present problem - a clunky change up from second to third is still very noticeable. (An earlier problem changing up from first to second disappeared after a very worrying crunching sound one morning on the way to work). The vehicle does most of it's work on normal roads with twenty or thirty 'rough track' miles most weeks.

The local dealer, although helpful, seems to have run out of ideas (although he did suggest that the recent removal of a "lead counterweight" may be involved ) and LR in a recent letter told me (I've paraphrased but not distorted) "we make the best four wheel drives in the world and there is nothing wrong with yours. Go away.).

Overlooking LRs odd view of customer service for the time being, can anyone shed any light on possible causes?

Much Obliged

GYH

Reply to
Gao Yuan Hong

Manual gearbox or automatic? How many miles has it done?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

New Tdi? It's either a secondhand Tdi (earlier Discovery) or a new Td5 (Discovery Series II), can't be both unless you have something special :-)

There were a lot of changes between the "old" Discovery and the SII, so it would be as well to say which to get a useful answer.

If it's a new car (Td5) and it's already on its third gearbox I would say something was very wrong. Land Rover are right (they do make the best 4x4s in the world, or at least most of the "fans" on this NG think so), but sadly their attitude to customer service is still in the dark ages.

Reply to
Richard Brookman