New Starter Motor - lasted 3 starts.

What about the one he took off?

Reply to
GbH

The original one I took off was original with the engine - so 12 years old. SO one failed BNIB, and one old failed.

HAven't had any brand comments made, so will jsut get them to replace with the same again tomorrow.

Henry

Reply to
HM

I'd be inclined to look out my local refurb shop and get them to tell me what's wrong with the first or maybe both. Could still be barking up the wrong tree, although it does seem unlikely.

Reply to
GbH

The only way to do it with any sensible answer.

Modern "sealed for life" batteries you are lucky to be able to get at and open the cell caps. Some have a built in hydrometer though little "magic eye" thing that shows green for OK and black for knackered. Don't know if that sits in just one cell or if the electrolyte is shared across all cells, can you do that?

As for the OPs problem an iffy connection can give very odd symptoms. Poor/non turning over first try, leave it a second or three and it'll be fine. With the currents flowing it doesn't take much resistance to drop the volts, this generates heat in the dodgy place, the heat makes the metal expand and make better contact... The problem connection can any where in the high current circut, so any of the engine/body straps or if they are really bad things like throttle cables and gearbox linkages... It can also be in in the high current feed from the battery to starter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good sales tool! - Mines been showing black for at least three years but I have no intention of throwing out an otherwise perfectly functioning battery.

Reply to
Dougal

My one has caps that simply unscrew. Nothing clever like a magic eye.

Spoke to Bearmach Exeter this morning - they have a new starter motor waiting for me. I'll fit it during my lunch break.

Henry

Reply to
HM

To conclude this thread.....

Replacement new starter motor picked up from Bearmach Exeter this lunch time and fitted. I went for exactly the same make as the shop told me that they were very reliable - and I actually trust them - they're good guys and know their stuff.

Works perfectly..... the old one was described to me in the shop as a 'Friday Afternoon' starter!

So to conclude - it was most likely the pinion/one way clutch at fault.

I am going to clean the contacts within the solenoi on the old original Bosche one - as a new set of points for it costs around £60.

Cheers for all your help,

Henry Exeter

Reply to
HM