Series 3 starter motor

Just a quick question.

In trying to hunt down a reasonably priced starter motor for my Triumph Stag there was a reference to a M418G starter motor being used in a Series 3 LR.

Is this correct? If so is it a pre-engaged?

Cheers

Peter

1990 110 County 2.5TD 1964 Rover P4 110 1973 Hillman Imp 1972 Triumph Stag (new toy!)
Reply to
puffernutter

It's not pre-engaged on the Series, any of them, it's the same as the old Austin Westminster. I don't know the Lucas number though.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:01:09 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

The number sounds familiar from something, but I'm damned if I know what.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, thanks. Obviously a dud lead! I was struggling to find the link between LR and Triumph!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

In that case then I think the Triumph Renown would have the same starter, as would the same engined Standard Vanguard.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Why not get the existing one rebuilt (or does it not have one full stop?)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Series 2.25 Diesel has a pre-engaged starter motor. Petrol versions use either a M418G with bendix or a 2M100 with bendix. Diesel versions use a Lucas, but the only reference number I can find is on Series 3, a Lucas 26321 - this appears to be the later fully sealed type, similar to the 2M100. Early Series 2A diesels appear use a pre-engaged M418G. Petrol versions with a bendix use a two bolt fixing, diesel pre-engaged versions use a three bolt fixing. The two bolt fixings are fairly standard, the holes are normally 180deg apart, however 3-bolt fixings seem to come in a bewildering array of different configurations, depending on fitment.

It's worth noting that Lucas M418G starters were used in a wide variety of applications, from bendix to pre-engaged, also with reduction gearboxes, and even as a motor to power hydraulic systems - just with a simple gear on the end. M418G only refers to the motor, not the attachment. An awful lot of British 50/60/70's cars used a M418G of some description.

I do have an automotive electrical after-market parts catalogue in the garage, this might cross-reference your Stag to a LR part, I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex,

Fascinating. Thank you. It is amazing what you can find out on this list! Maybe the solution is to find another M418G and just swap the motor part (which is giving me the problem as it is too weak to turn over the engine) - and yes I have made sure it isn't a dud battery - at one point I had two land rover batteries in parallel connected directly to the motor and it still only just lurched over! (And did those leads get hot......)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Thoughts that spring to mind (in no particular order):

- worn bushes causing polling. A cheap, easy fix.

- worn brushes/commutator. A cheap, slightly harder fix.

- buggered armature. An expensive easy fix (so long as you can find a replacement armature)

Reply to
EMB

And further to this:- Type M418G Lucas part no. 25605 L/R part no. 236287 with sundry repair kit L/R part no. 244718 but probably N.L.A

Type 2M100 which is a direct replacement for above, and supercedes it L/R part no. RTC3854 Sundry repair kit 90608178 which are available. If you need the Lucas part number to cross reference with the Triumph I can look at one and post later today.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

That may work, however, be aware that the length of the nose of the starter can differ as well, which means that the length of the rotor changes....

Alex

Reply to
Alex