Odd Discovery lift project

Here's an odd one...

I want to lift a Discovery 200/300 Series such that it is capable of taking 20" wheels, probably very wide ones at that. But the brief is a little odd, in that the car will

i) have no engine, transmission, braking system, steering system etc ii) have totally unmodified bodywork iii) will only ever move backwards and forwards approximately 8 feet iv) possibly not even turn the wheels - it may be on a skid

The vehicle is a technology demonstrator for clever stuff in car wheels.

The wheels will be all manner of weird stuff, mostly from cars that don't exist yet. Adaptor plates will be made to suit the specific wheels and bolt them to the hubs.

What's the easiest way to get the necessary suspension lift? When normal wheels (e.g. 16") are fitted it would be good to be able to lower the suspension to make it look right. When monster stuff goes on we need to up the suspension to fit.

I'm guessing it would be possible to machine up a selection of spacer blocks and fit them somewhere into the suspension as required. On top of the spring plate? The car could actually have a solid suspension, but the key is minimum cost and effort for the modification and a degree of variability.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

So, you're carrying bugger all weight, and taking it nowhere ? I'd dress up four of those bloody big satellite dish actuators (rated load: over a ton) and crank the car up on things that look like "big shock absorbers"- actuators are available from 12 to 36" stroke. Synchronising

4 of 'em needs some special electronics, which, by a collossal coincidence I just happen to be able to provide for a reasonable fee.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Did I ever show you the dish I got to go on Grumble?

Reply to
Mother

Only the movie clip.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

That's as close as anyone got to putting it on Grumble!

Sat in a warehouse for 12 months, then got sold - still in the packing case...

Smashing bit of kit, though...

Reply to
Mother

Fit 4 bottle jacks in place of the shocks & springs.

Reply to
Niamh Holding