Oh look, now my speedo is knackered as well!

now I've sussed the reason Range Rovers depreciate so much! they must be losing £££'s per minute as things fail, leak, snap or drop off. I have spent more time under the bonnet/car & on here looking for answers than I have driving the bloody thing! I see now why most of you seem to have a 'normal' vehicle as well- it's so you can constantly fetch parts for the f**ked Land Rover. Now my speedo is doing a groundhog day trying to click over to 100,000 so theres another job seeing if I can resolve that.

No tacho, no speedo, the only things on the dash that now work I don't want!! The fuel guage rapidly dropping & the temp guage rising 'cos I can't find the bloody leak.........

Does anyone on here use a Range Rover DAILY and not have to pop the bonnet up on a regular basis? We're talking road use here...I imagine it would be like a circus car exploding in all directions if I dare to go off-road.....I know, I know, 'they are like that'!

AAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

Dave (ready for straight jacket)

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

I assume we are not talking about a 2003 model Range Rover here?

My Discovery (which is a Range Rover in all but bodywork) is fairly easy to run. The speedo clicked over 100,000 without hassle (although this is a fairly common fault).

It uses (well, loses) oil at a moderate rate and has always lost air out of the tyres for some reason. So every fortnight is carwash, airline and oil top up time. Although I think Warren might have fixed the oil leak somehow, as it hasn't needed much lately.

Occasionally my heater stops blowing for 5 seconds and then carries on, but I think it's just winding me up.

The door locks have been problematic, but nothing terrible.

The car has character. If you put 30 clean grey Discoveries in a line I could pick mine out in 30 seconds. How many Mondeo drivers can say that?

As for depreciation, I have lost about 3K in 2 years and 45000 miles, and spent 1K on a gearbox swap (which I knew about when I bought the car). That's not bad going really.

And yes, it is used every day and sometimes even goes off-road. The only bit that has dropped off is the plastic valance under the bumper (rock assisted)!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I don't so much mind doing the stuff, it's just unbelievable that every trip seems to terminate with me under the bonnet! It seems to run fine although quite rattly (cam or tappets? both no doubt! which need sorting) or mega-pinking? I can't tell the difference- it certainly acclerates now where it didn't before. There appears to be no definative answer for timing settings (using LPG as well), so I've set at about 7 or 8 degrees before at the minute, that can't be too far advanced can it? I did read somewhere on here that it should be retarded because of the nature of lpg?

The car did a 100mile round trip at the weekend, excellent running cruising at 80, I mean 70!, next morning I heard what I thought was dodgy water pump bearing, like a dry whirring noise- 'well fancy that I thought!' Turned out to be air being sucked in. Another bloody air pipe to the plenum box split! must have gone the night before and I hadn't heard it, my hearing was muffled tho from hanging around in the pits at stock cars! F1 V8's is there a better sound- I don't think so.

Anyway, nearly time for the trip home. No doubt the 'low water level' light will be travelling with me again! It's definately not leaking from any pipes, heater, rad etc, I can't bear to strip it down to find the head gasket ok 'cos then I'll be really pissed off.

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

On or around Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:56:23 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

advanced. 7 or 8 degrees advance probably isn't far off. I t might run slightly better with a degree or so more.

Water pump gasket, on the front of the engine?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup I suspect from the diagnosis so far it's timing..that should sort the pinking and also may be the cause of the overheating.

We have a Rangie ...our second first was a V8 , this is a diesel.

It's had two head gasket rebuilds and during the last I replaced the big and little ends, pistons and rings as it sounded like it had terminal piston slap in the morning...much better now.

2 Discs (brakes) pads filters etc etc... Caliper bolt caused a few issues glow plugs x 2 sets

Thats about it in 4 years so far.

Cams are a favorite at around 70 to 80,000 miles on V8's

Don't forget if you throw in the towl someones going to get a good motor when you have fixed it all.

Chill,

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Alistair Beaton.

Give us a clue!

In the mean time while we take a commercial break heres some piccys of a VM's private parts.....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, after a few hours under the dash and on the kitchen table Saturday I got the speedo flicked over to 100,000 and back on working - hurrahh!

Back to the water problem...

Would an air lock cause a loss of coolant at all? I can't find ANY trace of leaks, and the water pump 'appears' to be ok looking at the flow of water through the radiator filler bolt. I hadn't tried the heater, not needed it until now, but it's not throwing out alot of heat. I don't just mean the weak fan problem- what movement of air there is isnt hot it stays warm only. I nearly resorted to taking the low water level bulb out while the dash was off and just topping it up evry few days! Odd thing is that the level in the rad is always visible within an inch or so of the top, but the expansion tank empties setting off the sensor.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Hi Dave,

I can understand that. Sometimes they are a bloody nightmare. I have had stuff wrong with the Defender 300tdi since I bought it (probably something to do with trying to do everything myself and not being too good at it). I have eventually sorted out the major problem I had with the brakes, and now I have a whole host of things preparing to be next in line. Shuddering clutch, very whiney gears, a new strange knocking sound when in neutral and an odd ticking sound from the engine. That said, I love the stupid thing and am looking forward to taking it apart and trying to fix it (not looking forward to the associated costs though.)

I do use it every day to go to work, but drive it like a cautious old lady!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Thought that was only me! I'm careful over bumps, try not to over-rev etc. I remember the police having Range Rovers and tearing down the motorways, they didn't look too flimsy then....maybe time is the killer?? although there's been plenty peeps on here with problems on new one's...

It always adds to the occasion when we go anywhere wondering if the trip will be trouble-free, I no longer worry about traffic jams- I only hope it's not me causing them!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Does your RaRo have the bolt on the accelerator that you can screw in to limit the accelerator travel and therefore revs. Mine does, and of course its screwed right down. Pathetic really, except that it keeps it at 70mph in 5th on the motorway (65 uuphill and 75 down) and makes it easier on the old right ankle!

Hypochondria by proxy. I think a decent stereo is the best cure for it.

Basically I'm always convinced that the current trip is its last. Sometimes I wish that the part making the strange noises would actually break or drop off, so I could replace whatever it was and drive peace! I love and hate my Defender and you're right about the "looking back". Do it all the time.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

That's where your going wrong :) My 110 200Tdi CSW has just clocked up

195,000 miles - with one head gasket, one starter (solenoid), one antiroll bar bush, one drop arm kit, 2 track rods (self-inflicted!), one alpine light glass (also self inflicted), a couple of track rod ends, 2 indicator assemblies, one set of rear shoes and drums and two sets of front pads and one pair of disks, and some filters when I can be bothered! The secret is to thash the thing, ignoring all engine and gearbox noises (turn the radio up!), at 90-95 round the motorways, green lane it, enter trials and tow ridiculous loads as often as possible - oh, I forgot, I stuffed the tank on a fence post. It's still on its original shock absorbers and all bushes! I love it to bits, and can't see any point in "upgrading"!

Richard (a litle deaf at times)

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:15:44 +0100, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

respect!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have a scrape down the length of the truck cab roof on the Series 2 that I am very proud of. There's a guy in a Series 3 somewhere with a similar mark right down the roof of his hardtop, and I guess he's equally proud of it!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen!!

Maybe you're not wrong on that one.. I think installing a stereo might help.

Still, at least I get better MPG ;-)

Looking forward to some green laning soon though!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux